Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am purchasing an 81 interstate and need to modify the seat or bracketing or just replace. I know comfort will be very important and because I am so tall I need to do something before I even start riding. I am sure i can figure something out but was wondering if anyone had a good remedy.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Tony
Are you going to carry a passenger? How tall are you?
Options are;
-Get your seat customized by a local upholstery shop that does M/C seats. You can cut back on into the rear seat area or go up on the front area if you are going to carry a passenger.
-Order one custom made by a M/C custom seat maker.
-Put some pillows on your seat to lift you up.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

The seat will slide back a couple of inches, you can always pull the cover off and cut some foam out to allow you to sit farther back. Freeze the foam and use a grinder to remove as much as you want. Here is a good site that will give you some more ideas on how to modify to your likeing.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanx guys, I'm 6'4" and yes do intend on having passengers onceI get comfortable after some practiceand take some safety classes. I had thought of rachet strapping a blanket or pillow to seat to help me get some ideas of whereI need to be positioned. I did know the seat moves a little but if up to a couple inches might help a lot,guy im buying it from though it moved only 40mm but he was not sure where it is even at the moment so hopefuly is foward. And I love the idea of freezing the foam to work with it,seat cover has a few cracks in it so if I fail at my first attempt its not like I would be ruining a perfectly good seat. Cant wait to start!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Adding a set of highway pegs to the engine guardsadd a lot to ridingcomfort.

You don't want to raise your seating postion up too high, as that willl affect handling, by raising the centre of gravity.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

I don't recommend this but I do not have the seat bolted on mine, the seat slides back into the trunk rack and gives me quite a bit more room. Haven't decided what to do permanently.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

The trunk can be moved back about 3 inches with a kit. which will give you more room to modify the driver seat.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

I'm 6'3" and as was suggested, the highway pegs are a great addition for comfort! I set the seat on the middle dimple of the mounts (there are 3) because my wife needs the room as well.

I put an aftermarket seat on with the formed saddles which helped some. When I'm riding in town, I've found that toes on the pegs is most comfortable, on the highway, it's highway pegs all the way! Adjusting the cant of your handlebars will go a long ways towards comfort as well.

There's a thread around here somewhere on moving the trunk back to make room if you want to try that route.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

At 6'-6" I too concur on the highway pegs and having the seat all the way back. The highway pegs will allow your long legs to stretch a bit and save on cramping. But, my Wing is an '86 Aspencade so it will probably be a bit different than your Wing.

Just thought of something else. I doubt that I'd want to move my seat back any farther as that would drastically change the angle of my foot on the shifter. My size 13s are sometimes a problem with the standard shifter. But once I install a heel/toe shifter this spring I might want to reevaluate things. I know that leg cramps are my biggest problem at the moment but have learned to stretch out even around town at opportune times.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

tonystardis wrote:
Thanx guys, I'm 6'4" and yes do intend on having passengers onceI get comfortable after some practiceand take some safety classes. I had thought of rachet strapping a blanket or pillow to seat to help me get some ideas of whereI need to be positioned. I did know the seat moves a little but if up to a couple inches might help a lot,guy im buying it from though it moved only 40mm but he was not sure where it is even at the moment so hopefuly is foward. And I love the idea of freezing the foam to work with it,seat cover has a few cracks in it so if I fail at my first attempt its not like I would be ruining a perfectly good seat. Cant wait to start!
Get the foot pegs, boards for the engine guards and move them forward for highway riding so you can stretch out the legs from time to time, or most the time on big roads long trips.

I only ride solo, but my gear filled the back seat like a BIG gal would have LOL
Whole year on my 82 1100 including several trips to and from SC. 1000 mile each way, some 800 mile days etc... , and I was just fine!
I'm 6' 4" also!

Do some riding and get used to her first, then decide if you need to change things or not. When I first got my 82 1100 I thought I was a bit cramped also, but I fast got used to her and all was fine.

I mostly rode loaded down with gear for the long trips, solo with nothing on the bike for many 300 mile day trips. Once with the wife (she don't ride).
Having something to lean back on a bit, gear or passenger, helps be more comfortable also.

All I did with mine was move the seat all the way to the rear.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Foot pegs are on the ta do list. And I also want to look into boards and heel toe shifter especially if size 13's can be an issue i wonder how my 17's will fit.With all the suggestionsyou guys are giving meI am sure to find a comfortable enough position to rack up many miles trouble free.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

tonystardis wrote:
Foot pegs are on the ta do list. And I also want to look into boards and heel toe shifter especially if size 13's can be an issue i wonder how my 17's will fit.With all the suggestionsyou guys are giving meI am sure to find a comfortable enough position to rack up many miles trouble free.
17's????
I still wear an 11-12 depending on type shoe boot.

I had the boards heel/toe shifter and it was fine, cheapy stuff, but I am going back to pegs on the 1100 if I keep riding it. I just like pegs better myself.
I'd never think of putting boards on my 1500.
I don't know if you can really compare a 1500 to 1100 in any way, but I love the pags on the 1500 on year last year, and what little I rode the 1100 with pegs I preferred pegs there also.

If there is a problem to be solved though do what you need to do.
I'd jut say to begin with, ride and get used to it then decide what you want to do after a few hundred or K miles.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'm only a size 11 at 6', but I had an '84 with the boards/heel toe, I actually found that the boards were worse because they force your feet flat which pushed my toes into the engine, the factory pegs allow me to point my toes down under the engine. Just my two cents though.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Think about handlebar risers and/or pull backs too. Getting the kit to move the truck back gives you more options with the seat if you make the bracket for the seat longer you could push it back further. an extra inch or two makes a big different..but as I said you may need to bring your bars back too.

highway pegs are a good alternative.. some have even fitted gear shifter and brake pedal to the front crash bars and you ride with your feet on the highway pegs all the time and shift and brake like Harley guys on choppers. There is a kit someplace to do just that..not cheap.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Ok I finially picked it up.Got it home and took it for a ride.I sat kinda in the middle on the high spot and did ok for a first time rider till I tried to turn around in some gear that was not first and i stalled it and fell over. No witnesses is a success in my book. So it snows tomorrow and its in the basement.Time to start to play with it and make adjustments to seat and stop a couple small water leaks.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You might want to get a trunk relocation kit Then move your seat back further

7. 993-190 Trunk Relocation Kit. Kit
moves the trunk back with 3 positions
from 1” to 2.8” to give the passenger more
room. Fits GL1100 and GL1200. $39.95

http://goldwingchrome.com/Catalogs/20101200.pdf

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status