Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got the bike on the road after 1 year of not riding. Starts ok. but does not seem to be hitting on all 4. gets better as it warms. Drivablility is fine as long as I give it some revs and ease the clutch. seems fine at higher revs and smooth at highway speeds. I am running the splitfire plugs some have complained about. Carbs have not been cleaned. Should I supspect fuel or electrics? Seems I have had this problem before with this bike and also possibly a 76 GL 1000.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I would suspect fuel. It does not last long in storage these days, only about 60-90 days according tomy mechanic friend. If you use a fuel stabilizer you can get 1 year out of it.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome Glenn Hellerand kd7sys! :waving:

I agree with kd7sys. If the bike was running well when you parked it, it sounds like a fuel problem to me also. If you haven't already drained the tank and put fresh gas in I would do that first. I would also add some Seafoam (1oz per gallon) or MMO (I don't know the mix ratio) to the tank as well. It may not smooth the idle out at first but will help clean up gummy deposits. You may need to do a couple of tank fulls this way.

Was your tank full of gas when you parked it? If not, rust may have formed inside the tank and is being sucked into the system. Check your fuel filter and lines for any rust or other deposits. Hopefully no rust got into the carbs.

Check your air filter and air box for mouse nests too! Seems a couple of forum members have found nasty little surprises living in their wings!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Get rid of the "Splitfire" plugs !

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Pull all of your plugs and check them for buildup. For the hell of it, take some sandpaper to them and reinstall (Be careful not to bend them, re-gap if necessary.) If the problem goes away, you're that much closer to an answer. It's in the carbs.

I'm not a bike mechanic, but I did have the same problem on a Yamaha, and also remember reading a story from a guy with a wing that had the same issues. He had to get home from a WingDing and made it with two sets of plugs that he kept switching out and cleaning.

Corey

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Glenn Heller wrote:
Got the bike on the road after 1 year of not riding. Starts ok. but does not seem to be hitting on all 4. gets better as it warms. Drivablility is fine as long as I give it some revs and ease the clutch. seems fine at higher revs and smooth at highway speeds. I am running the splitfire plugs some have complained about. Carbs have not been cleaned. Should I supspect fuel or electrics? Seems I have had this problem before with this bike and also possibly a 76 GL 1000.
Glenn, try running it with th cold enrichener (choke)partially on. If it then runs better you have a fuel (carb) problem. If it still runs bad suspect an ignition problem.

If it is the carbs (fuel related) suspect the pilot jets as being plugged or the idle air cut-off system malfunctioning.

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.