Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i was riding home last night when i noticed my volt meter drop to around 10 volts and 8 in idle , took side cover off today and the three yellow wires have gotten hot enought to melt loose from each other . i have already cut out connector and soldered wires together ...... why are the wires getting this hot ?????????? i connected the loose wire back together and volts are back up to around 14 volts at 4000 rpms but wires are still getting hot

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Those wires carry a lot of current. Any resistance in the wire or connection becomes heat. The connection must be excellent.

Good luck! If you have the wires apart, I'd also check output from each wire just to be sure all is OK. The pairs should all be the same, around 50-70 volts AC, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

You never said how you connected them bck together. It must be a very solid connection capable of handling as much current as the wires or they will burn up like a fuse.
there will always be some heat generated by the wires .
the design of the carging system means the alternator is putting out full power all the time and the surpluss is dumpe of in heat bt the regulator.
wilf

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

You will probably have to cut out as much of the original wire as you can and then replace it with some 10 gauge wire. The original wire has been so hot that the wires have some corrosion on them and the solder won't stick to them. If you don't have a really good solder joint the wire will heat up when a lot of current is running through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.