Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchase an '81 Interstate with 20K. Everything on the bike is great except that it seems to want to pop out of gear at times, especially going into 5th, when I running it kinda hard. If I don't shift it hard into gear, it sometime just pops out and is like in neutral. To get it back into gear I have to cram it in which doesn't sound so goodso I usuallyjust coast to a stop and then put it back in to gear (preferred method). If I ride slow and smooth, it usually doesn't do this. I am running Valvoline Racing 20W-50.

Are the old wing tranny's like this or do I possilby have a bent shifter fork? This is my first wing so I am new this type of bike.

thanks

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Mine has about 57k on it, seems to work fine, maybe a adjustment can be made to the shifter, does it have the heel/toe shifter or just the toe shifter? The heel toe shifter if the bolts on the piviot point is too loose, it might not be picking the shifter up enough for it to engage fully. Just speculating of course.:)

Gene:dude:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Just for kicks try "preloading" your shifter (put a little pressure on it first , then pull the clutch and shift it), see if that helps?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I have an 81 interstate and have experienced the same thing. It is also my first. It has the heel to toe shifter. What I have found with this shifter is just dont be afraid to give it a good kick into gear. I doubt you will hurt anything just be a little more aggressive when you are shifting up and it should probably be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

When you shift, follow thru fully. Don't let the feeling in the shifter make you want to go easy.
Like GLester, when I bought my 1200 with heal/toe shifter I had trouble with the gears wanting to grind a bit. A firm full shift stopped the grinding. Now it's just a "clunk".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.