Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been told by my local mechanic that the '81 i purchased recently doesn't need the valve clearances adjusted and that they're hydraulic. Is there any truth to this because both my owners andClymers manual states that they're to be adjustedthe same as in the previous year models. Not sure if there's a problem but i do have slight ticking (cold start)from the top end sounding like the valve clearances.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I have an 83 1100 and mine definitely have to be adjusted. It's my understanding that the hydraulic lifters didn't come in until the 84 1200. Can anyone confrm or deny?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

As far as I know an 81 needs to be adjusted! Someone may correct me on that ?

I bought a 80 with 70,000 miles and they were never adjusted and believe it or not they were basically pretty good, just a thin hair out!:clapper::cool:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The hydraulic units came out with the '84 1200. All 1000's and 1100'sshouldbe periodically, every eight thousand miles, checked and/or adjusted. The procedure is in the Honda manual, I assume it is in the Clymer and Haynes manuals as well. First note says to perform the inspection and settings if necessary while the engine is stone cold. (<35c, 95f) Clearance on the Intake valves is 0.10 mm (0.004 in) on the Exhaust it is 0.13 mm (0.005 in). Very easy to do, just take your time and ensure the cylinder you are checking is at TDC on the compression stroke. Keep us informed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Basically if the head isn't disturbed by retorquing or having a head gasket replaced there shouldn't be much need to adjust.

Sorry, I was thinking of 1200s. Should have read the original post more carefully .:blushing:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The GL1100 does not have hydraulic valve clearances, you need to adjust them manually, period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.