Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an opportunity to pick an 83 GL1100 parts bike for about $500. The current owner says that it has over 200,000 miles but that the engine has been rebuilt. It is currently missing the carbs and I was thinking of temporarily transfering my 81 carbs to this one to test it. The other issue is that he does not have the title. It was abandoned by a previous tennant and there are several hundred dollars in registration fees that need to be paid before any transfer can occur. So I might have to shoot this one in the head.

Assuming the worst, is it possible to transfer the smaller wheels of this bike over to the 81. This one has the cast Aluminum ones. My main interest is in the exhaust,panniers, crash bars. The rest will go into back stock or be put up for sale.

The wheels are of interest to me as they would help to lower my bike. As I understand the 83 was lower.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I am about to be in the same boat as you. I has a titled '81 and a non-titled '83 I want to make a Standard out of.

Assuming you take the entire brake system, swingarm, front forks from the '83, the swap should be fine. May not need the swingarm, but just in case.

You also want the wider foot pegs, but with 200K miles, they may be shot. Along with some other goodies.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Semi naked with no fairing just panniers on the side no rear trunk. I did this to another one that I bought that had the front fairing removed. It turned out nice.

I read in one of the Goldwing books that they made the tire wider and consequently had to make the swingarm a little wider. I think I can swap the forks and front tire. I'm not sure about the rear swing arm?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

All you can do is try it. I can't see the frame changing from '80 to '83. Maybe this Winter I may take the shold back end apart of my '83 and grease it all up. Been a real reliable ride this Summer.

Problem around here is, it is riding weather almost year round! I've been working out of town during the week, and I can't wait to ride when I get home weekends.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys...I have actually interchanged parts, including a full 81 engine into an 83 frame, built it from scratch up and had no problems with interchangeability!!! ( is that a word !! ) whats more the frame was from an 83 american import and the engine from an 81 UK registered bike. I have had panniers from my 81 onto the 83 frame etc. I also have a couple of Gl1000 ( 78 ) parts on her such as front and rear mudguards ( fenders ). below is a link to my pic ..if it doesn't work then please email me and I'll send a pic.... you can also find her on the naked gold wings website under my handle Mavman ( blue wing ) on page 5

www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/naked_wings/mavman_s_gl1100

cheers

mavman

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I am getting ready to sell my old wheels off my 83. I replaced with a set off Ebay that I chromed. They are in great shape. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi chumbiwumba, recommend you invest in a Honda manual. The 1100 manual from '80 to '83 will give you most of the differences. Forks, brakes and tire/wheel size are the main ones but there are many minor little differences. The Honda manual is available from this url:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=AHC&mk=Honda+Motorcycle&yr=1983&md=On%2DRoad&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=GL1183&itemtype=N&mscsid=F8467HKU8B3N8KSXU104JV8919BC0CF0

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thank you all for all the useful info. I already have the factory manual and you are right it is very useful. That link you posted had a wonderful side effect insofar as I was also looking for a film fiche or printed parts manual. They offered the latter which I'm going to order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.