Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Papa Joe Tucker
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a reoccuring problem that is plaguing my 1981 GoldWing 1100. Ipress the starter button... the bike starts... but the starter continues to run also. I turn off the key... the motor dies as normal... but the starter is free spinning and will not disengage. I have to pull the left cover off and quickly unhook the battery to stop the starter. After it sets a minute or two I can reconnect the battery and it may not do it again for weeks. Could this be a faulty solenoid doing this? Someone told me that there is a Ford solenoid that will replace the expensive Honda solenoid?? Thanks for any advice. :D

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it could most definatly be the soliniod. Especially if you have to pull the battery cable to kill all power to starter. Cant offer any advice on the replacement parts from Detroit, but might well be worth checking out.

Also, WELCOME to the forum. We can always use some more support from the states, I was getting lonely...:D

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It very well could be the starter solenoid sticking due to rust or corrosion, but it also could be the starter switch(bad spring)itself causing this problem. Try tapping on the solenoid with a small hammer next time it happens and see if it releases then you'll know for sure.

You could easily adapt a solenoid from a late sixties or early seventies Ford car. If your problem does turn out to be the solenoid go to a scrap yard with your solenoid and see if they can match one up for you that's close. Don't tell them it's for a bike, just tell them to find one that's close and then you can adapt it into place on your Wing.

Vic

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The lads are right Joe, sounds certain to be a solenoid problem rather than starter switch. The power to the switch is dead with the ignition off, whereas a sticky solenoid will still draw power with the ignition off, as you can prove by connecting a meter to the input side of the solenoid with the ignition off. If the starter spins with the ignition off, check the output side of the solenoid and you will find power there (shouldn't be any). Then check the power wire in the solenoid (the thin one from the starter switch) and if there is no power there its definitely just a duff solenoid.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Here's another way of checking solenoids, (there are millions of way to do it) disconnect all wires to it. (even the little ones) with small gauge wires (14 gauge) connect to the battery and touch the other ends to two of the males on top of the solenoid. There are 4 males connection on top of the solenoid, 2 of them are to make it engage the starter. 2 are for power to the bike. (they are using that fuse on the side of the solenoid for safety, that's why they are there) When you have the correct 2 you will here a loud "click" when touching and a loud "click" when you take the power off. If you don't hear the clicks. you have a faulty solenoid. (This is how I check one when buying it from a junk yard and making sure it works)

Using a ford solenoid, yes you can use a old model one. The only thing is, you will have to figure which of the 4 wire are for the starter. the other 2 wires you may want to install a 30 amp in line fuse to. (to replace the fuse on the solenoid)

I don't recommend this, but look at junk yards for a solenoid, I got one for 20.00. Fleabay has them every so often for 14.00 starting bid.

BTW what is a new solenoid going for? (I don't even know.) Check with local bike shops (not Honda) they can get you after market ones half the price of Honda.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I seen a gl1100 with a solenoid froma Mini car. They can be picked up used easily enough or new for about €15 from many motor factors.

·
Papa Joe Tucker
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everybody for the response to my post. I am pretty sure it is the solenoid going bad. It is always good to hear the experience of others about your difficulties.

Thanks again,

Joe-In-Texas

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

corneo wrote:
BTW what is a new solenoid going for? (I don't even know.) Check with local bike shops (not Honda) they can get you after market ones half the price of Honda.
The local Honda shop wanted $99.00 for my 83 Aspencade here in AZ. I found a used one at a local repair shop for $25.00.

·
Papa Joe Tucker
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

They want $125.00 for one in Waco, Texas. But they are about the highest place around to buy OEM parts. I found two used ones on Ebay for $25.00. Are there any online aftermarket parts store that you know of?

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Joe-In-Texas wrote:
They want $125.00 for one in Waco, Texas. But they are about the highest place around to buy OEM parts. I found two used ones on Ebay for $25.00. Are there any online aftermarket parts store that you know of?

You can try http://www.mrcycles.com

I bought new stator, clutch discs,(friction and drive), gaskets, for 86 Interstste for $325.00 last year....

These were OEM parts...

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

TheFord-type starter solenoid mentioned is really neat. It comes with an integral bracket. Guess what - the 2 holes on the bracket line up perfectly with 2 rear cover securing bolts on the engine case. The added Ford-type solenoid residesjust above the fram rail adjacent to the starter motor.

Did this when stock one was bad. Also, Ford-type is super heavy duty compared to OEM; nice amount of overkill. Will never go bad controlling puny bike starter compared to 428CI V-8 engine!

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Joe, would you mind telling us where you are at,maybe we can suggest a salvage yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.