Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Bleeding the front break is giving me fits. Rebuilt master cyl. and replaced one caliper. I just can not get enough break pressure. I have gone thru more that a pint of bleeding. I have blocked off the master cyl and it is solid. I don't see a leak or bulging on the hoses. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

Try putting the bike on the side stand and turn the bars full left. This will put the front master cylinder up at the highest point. Then wrap a bungie cord or something similiar around the front brake lever to hold it operated and leave it that way overnight. That might let any trapped air migrate up the lines and into the master cylinder and get your brake lines clear of air.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Try putting the bike on the side stand and turn the bars full left. This will put the front master cylinder up at the highest point. Then wrap a bungie cord or something similiar around the front brake lever to hold it operated and leave it that way overnight. That might let any trapped air migrate up the lines and into the master cylinder and get your brake lines clear of air.
*1 on the bungee cord. If it is mushy, pump it up as best as possible, then attach bungee as described.. Worked great for me.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
imported post

If the bungee idea doesn't work and you're OK with spending a few more $$, get yourself a Mite-Vac. It attaches to the bleed nipple and sucks the fluid tru the master, the lines and the caliper. Repeat the process with the second caliper. Take care to keep the master full as you draw the vacuum.

I see that Harbor Freight now sells the Mite-Vac for about $35 here in my neck of the woods. I found a number of uses for it besides brakes too. A handy tool to have!

And no, I'm not a sales rep for them.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder first? All master cylinders need this when rebuilt or bled dry. Pump up as bleeding process and hold, open banjo bolt to release air and fluid (protect painted surfaces!) Replete till only fluid comes out. Then bleed the system at the calipers.
Report back with your results with a reply here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.