Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well guys, here it is… like it or not.

As I said I would after so many of you guys kept asking how the install was going (as it seemed to take so long). Here are a few pictures of the semi (90% completed) Road King muffler install.

It works well, a very low note from the old gal now. It does sound a bit like a Harley. I have not, at this time at least, installed a crossover pipe. So many of you have said that it would improve the “potato potato potato” sound and smooth and mellow it out. I really hope so.

The only thing I need to do now is…

1) Decide if I want to go through the hassle and expense of a crossover pip.

2) Once I make the decision and it’s done either way, I will paint it or have it ceramic coated.

This has been one of those projects that went from a few days to 20 days with all the bad weather and “extra” little projects that fall under the “might as well” category.

From just wanting two pipes bent and brackets welded I ended up somehow…

1) Ripping apart the compressor and cleaning what ended up being 25 ml + of oil out of the desiccant jar and replacing the desiccant.

2) I’m in there so I might as well change the coolant and flush the system…

3) Fix my LED turn signal arrows by adding new “Real” bright LEDs.

4) I’m in there so I might as well add the amber LED lights to the side of the fairing as a reflector replacement.

5) Add a weather faceplate cover for the stereo…

6) Clean and paint a switch plate…

7) Rewire my saddle bag for LED lights and pre wire for new stop LED lights (on back order).

8) Oh, and being I am still back there and the weather still sucks, I might as well fix the bunch of rust that is on the rear fender. It got sanded, filled and painted.

9) Might as well replace the rear mud flap too… and use fancy bolts!

10) and so on… you get the point.

The end result is that there is a nice stretch of weather coming up and I want to ride. I will see how the muffler sounds work out.

So here are the after pictures.

If you want to see a bit of the process and the new bent pipe added, visit this link.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/68562.html

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

New pipe, new hanger, new muffler and old header.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

New hanger welded to the saddle bag frame and also shows the new wiring for the LED lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Old rusty header welded to the new bent pipe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The new muffler sticks out about 4.5 inches but looks awesome. You can also see some of the new LEDs, painted fender, and new mud flap. New stop LED are on back order and will be mounted over the turn signal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

As you can see, paint or chrome would be nice instead of the rust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

One l-o-n-g exhaust system!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the post. Those mufflers look exactly like the ones I am planning to install on my project '82.

Why so long though?? I was thinking of going a little shorter. Of course then the muffler would end under the saddle bag - 'cept I am planning to leave the rear end naked.

If you will excuse the liberty - I shortened yours a little: :action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey Maplewingnut,

Well, how you mount them is up to you but if you look close at the first picture, you may get an idea where the center stand comes up. It comes up right on the pipe clamp. There is no room for play there.

If you move the muffler more towards the front, the center stand will not come up all the way and it will drag/scrape all the time.

Just something to look out for.

I'll see if I can post a better picture.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
As you can see, paint or chrome would be nice instead of the rust.
It might be a little too far gone, but did you try steel wool on the header covers? I've been completely amazed at some of the chrome I can bring back with 10 cents of steel wool.

Cool project. I'd like to hear that bike with those pipes. I don't think they look bad sticking out that far. it's unique.

-Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here you go Maplewingnet,

As you can see in the next few pictures, the center stand comes up JUST in front of the muffler. If you take a good look, you will see that the muffler clamp is on at an angle.

I had to move the bolt part toward the back. The center stand was hitting the bolt part and just that 1 inch made a world of difference in scrapping the pavement. I do not scrap anymore.

Outofcontrol

The headers are sound. They are thick stock just, poor chrome on them. I will sand blast them and then paint it with hi heat silver or have them ceramic coated. There is a guy in my area that does it and there is one color that after he is done he buffs it and it comes nice and bright and shinny like polished aluminum.

As far as the sound goes… it’s something I am going to have to get use to I guess. Your right about them sticking out. That part I really like. It really is unique!

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Another angle...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Another angle...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Mr. Magic Fingers,

Thanks so much for posting the additional pics. I would have had to learn that the hard way without them. I have some work to do before I am in a position to mount my 'new' mufflers. I will post pics when I get to that stage. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Yea man looks pretty cool sticki'n out like that i like it.document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/clapper.gif');

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:Mr.Magic Fingers,

Just wondering about how long that piece of pipe had to be between the header and muffler??

Winger 82:11brown:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for the compliments guys...

Winger 82,

Well, they are about 18" in length and have sort of a 3d "S" twist to them. They come from the header and bend out and up at the same time. It really does depend on what your mounting and where.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey guys,

Here is a couple of quick sound bytes of the new mufflers. Let me know what you think. Just rename the file from XXXX.zip to XXXX.mp3.

It is slowly moving from the rear to side of the bike by the engine then back to 4 feet from the muffler at ground level.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

This one is revving the bike to 35K rpm.

Remember to rename the file from XXXX.ZIP to XXXX.mp3.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Sometimes, you can remove the rust by shaving the rust with a razor blade. Then use some Mother's polish.

The installation looks great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.