Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

LEDs LEDs LEDs... everywhere LEDs!!

I have added new LEDs to the bike. In particular, a new home made replacement brake light. Here's how it breaks down:

I have added the red and amber marker LEDs to the bike. They are all clear with chrome mounting retainers on them. I replaced the side red and amber reflectors with the proper LED ones and they are in a clear reflector case.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I have added two new stop LED assemblies to the saddle bags. They have a chrome retainer visor on them. They have the brake flasher module attached to them so they blink about 5 times before they come on steady.

I have made a very custom PCB for the brake light. I have removed the chrome light shield and mounted a custom etched PCB inside the brake light assembly. It has 2 sets of 3 LEDs to act as the running light and matching the rest on the back of the bike. For the brake light, a total of 70 super bright LEDs come to life. These are awesome. Even in the day you get to see the change from off to on with ease. They are remarkable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have added the same chrome retainer visor to the signal lights. The signal lights are not LED yet. They will be soon and will be a custom job as well. I don’t want to use LED bulbs for them. I will be changing the front and the rear turn signals.

My total conversion to LEDs is almost complete.

I thought that the guys that like extra lights would like this. Let me know what you think.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I like it. I'm in the process of getting everything switched to led's also but have a ways to go.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Nice job I like them:cool:. What is a PCB and where did you get the chrome rings for the turn signals? Going LED is one of the items on my list of things to do.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey Kim,

Thanks and glad you like them.

A PCB is a Printed Circuit Board. It’s the board that all your electronic components are mounted to. Think of the circuit boards in your computer. In the making of my board, I started with a blank board that had copper on one side. Basically, you “draw” your wires on the copper with a special pen and then put it in a solution and the solution etches away all the “non inked” lines. Then you drill the little hole for the components and install them.

As for the chrome rings, we have a number of stores across Canada called Princess Auto. It’s a great store. You can find ANYTHING there. They do mail order and have a catalog too. That’s where I got my LED lights too.

http://www.princessauto.com/

When I put my brakes on, I only have a voltage drop of 0.1 and that flickers back and forth!!!

In a nut shell, there are major power savings to be had if you’re a Watt watcher. 2 regular 1157 bulbs draw a total of 66 watts (33 watts each). There are two in the brake light. With all the LEDs that I am using here, this LED array only draws 1.32 watts. I saved about 64.5 watts.

I’m saving my watts up for driving lights! They sparkle like brilliant diamonds even in the day when on.

I probably should have posted this in the TECHNICAL FORUM. More people could have seen it. I suppose is a good safety issue.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi all,

I been asked about the wiring for the saddle bags and lights. Here are a few more pictures showing the wiring.

The wiring started in the signal light area. I replaced the wires going up to and under the seat as I needed 4 conductors not 2. It’s shown as item #1.

The wires are for : 1 - ground, 2 - signal light, 3 - new brake light and 4 – new running lights.

The white wire goes through a hole in the saddle bag to the new brake light. Shown as item #2

The black wire (which I reused the one going to the saddle bag) goes up through the hole into the saddle bag and runs the running lights. Shown as item #3

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This is underneath the signal light. This is the back of 2 LEDs and is part of the running lights. Though not needed, the connectors were encased in silicone.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

This picture is of the inside of the saddle bag. I applied silicone to the connections as you can see. I taped the wired in place while it dried. The wires go around the inside to a small hole down to the signal light. Once cured, these wires were covered by black duct tape that we Canadians seem to love to use! Hahaha! The same thing was done for the new brake light that I installed as well (just off the picture).

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

This picture shows the new wiring to the saddle bags. I have gotten rid of the old connectors to the lights and have installed better ones. Not shown here (as it had not arrived yet) is the brake light flasher. It was mounted here and I did the pre wiring for it (the red connector). It is on now and works very well.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Good move. And looks good. Switching to LED's is a real good idea. These older bikes have such a whimpy stator and every bit of amperage saved is a wise move. I've changed most of all of mine out. But I did leave the blinkers alone. Still I've added some lower fork tube and side fairing marker lights so I'll have to get order in with superbrightleds. Also good looking muffler conversion.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i like the connectors you made for the wiring nice keeps water and corrosion out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.