Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am making my bike into a naked bagger. I took the fairing off and put a new headlight bucket and headlight in. While messing with turn signals, somehow I have managed to ground out something in my tail light. Brake light works fine, but no tail. I disconnected the wires going to the rear of the bike to locate my short and narrow down why it blows the fuse. After disconnect, I still blow the fuse. Now I am back to the headlight bucket. My question is, does anyone know what set of wires ( what color the plug in is). I think it is a brown wire, but I can't find anything by searching the forum. I am currently looking through all the wires but I figure it might be quicker if I knew for sure what color tail light wire is inside headlight bucket. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Can't look at schematic right now but from memory...Brown is 12v feed to the tail light, green is ground, green with yellow stripe is 12v feed for brake light. That's at the tail light housing itself. At the headlight I think maybe Brown with white stripe??

headlight wiring white and blue are for bright & dim. Solid green is always ground.
Turn signals use orange for left side and light blue for the right side.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
So I am making my bike into a naked bagger. I took the fairing off and put a new headlight bucket and headlight in. While messing with turn signals, somehow I have managed to ground out something in my tail light. Brake light works fine, but no tail. I disconnected the wires going to the rear of the bike to locate my short and narrow down why it blows the fuse. After disconnect, I still blow the fuse. Now I am back to the headlight bucket. My question is, does anyone know what set of wires ( what color the plug in is). I think it is a brown wire, but I can't find anything by searching the forum. I am currently looking through all the wires but I figure it might be quicker if I knew for sure what color tail light wire is inside headlight bucket. Thanks.
There ought to be whole bunch in the History somewhere about GL1100 wiring diagrams because I've sent them myself to members loads of times (I dunno, perhaps the new deal has failed us), I don't have them now because my hard drive died, but if you wait 'til monday I'll send it from work 'cos I know it's still there!!

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
Just make sure you matched the colors in the headlight bucket. There will be a brown wire that doesn't connect to anything, if you connected it to a green wire there is your short.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the wires are connected to the correct color. The brown one has nothing. I am thinking I had them squished or something and maybe it was making it short. I am working on trying to locate which one is which and trace back the brown into the headlight bucket so I can find out if it is there somewhere. It's not in the back because I unplugged it under the seat and it still shorts, blast you, electrical gremlin, I say blast you!

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well flip my pancakes, not even a grounded wire. It was that the fuse holder needed cleaned. Whisker biscuits, it's always the last thing you check. Thanks for the help

·
Very active member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a note to everyone out there,
Before looking for grounded wires, check the fuse block and make sure you're getting a good connection. That's where I think I found my problem. I will find out when I fully charge my battery. Thanks for the great info and help.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
You came back to to right place fella!!

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes those fuse blocks on the 1100s are junk. I had thought of changing my 83 over to a 1200 fuse block but didn't get around to it before passing it forward

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.