Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Where do the 4 little, approx. 3/8" long x 1/4" dia plastic & screen, filters go in an '82 GL1100's carbs?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Those are the float needle filters most likely. And WELCOME to our forum family!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yea, but where do they go? All I remember when I disassembled them was that they were in a hole that was filled with black crap!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the welcome, & I'm thrilled to receive a reply so quickly!
I'm ready to re-install the carbs, but will tear them back down if those filters are critical. Don't really want to though. :praying:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

My '80 didn't have those, not sure if that's just a difference in year... but welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

elderken wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, & I'm thrilled to receive a reply so quickly!
I'm ready to re-install the carbs, but will tear them back down if those filters are critical. Don't really want to though. :praying:
They go on top of the float needle seat. They aren't critical but its the last chance to stop debris that would prevent the needle from closing. If it doesn't close the engine will run rich and gas would flow into the cylinders and engine when its off.

I'd bite the bullet and put them back in.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

So that would involve pulling the bowl and the needle seat and put the filter under the seat? If so, that's easy. I'll see.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, that was easy, & I see why I didn't think to put them there. The hole they sit in is huge, but it was packed with so much junk that when I fished them out the remaining hole was the size of the little filter.
Anyway, here I am less than one hour after my query, done and ready to install.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Oh, and the under vs over issue was due to orientation--when the carbs are in installed position, the filters are over the seats; but when they are in service position (upside down on the bench) the filter goes under the seat.

Again, THANKS!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

New OEM needle seats come with the screens attached, most of the aftermarket ones don't But trust me you will be glad you put them in, anything getting into those carbs becomes a real problem. Too many really tiny passages, even slight rust particles are a nightmare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.