Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the sort of question I was hoping I wouldn't need to ask:

How important is the screen shown on the right in the picture below? It snaps into the fitting shown on the left. My #2 carb doesn't have one. Thanks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Picture????

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
The only screens I know of are the ones on the plenum (2 carbs each), or the ones on the top of the float valves. Maybe missing one of those??

On a side note: Having ALL questions in ONE thread with a easily searchable title would be a benifit to others rebuilding their 1100 carbs.

Bill

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
screen

Here's the sort of question I was hoping I wouldn't need to ask:

How important is the screen shown on the right in the picture below? It snaps into the fitting shown on the left. My #2 carb doesn't have one. Thanks.
Are you talking about the screen on the back side of the float valve , dont put it back together with out it

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Sorry Pete, here's the answer you didn't want to hear. Pull the carbs back out and install the screen. It keeps tiny jet clogging trash out or the carburetor.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a side note: Having ALL questions in ONE thread with a easily searchable title would be a benifit to others rebuilding their 1100 carbs. Bill
That's a good idea, Bill. I wish I'd thought about that. Maybe one of the moderators could combine them if they think it's worth it. I don't think a member can do it after the fact.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Pete, here's the answer you didn't want to hear. Pull the carbs back out and install the screen. It keeps tiny jet clogging trash out or the carburetor.
The bad news is that I haven't got the screen. Not sure whether I lost it, or whether it wasn't on there when I took it apart; it was the first one I dismantled, and I didn't know that the screen even existed.

The good news is that the carbs aren't reassembled yet, let alone on the bike.

Thanks for the reply, Jack. Guess it's time to go shopping.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If its missing its most likely due to someone other than Honda leaving it out. Could be from it being lost or damaged, or due to an aftermarked valve being installed and it did not fit.

Bill

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Hey Pete, send me a pm with your address, and I will send you a used one from my spare set if you like.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure it's not still in the carb? Sometimes they don't come out with the brass seat and can stick in there pretty good.
Sorry for the long delay -- we were away for a month visiting grandchildren.

No, dizzy, I checked and the screen was not in the carb, but thanks for the suggestion. And thanks to morriscatt, who sent me one which I now have installed. And while I'm at it, thanks also to Stu (newday777) for the synchronizing screw, which is now installed also.

New question:

The attached photo shows my first attempt at re-assembly of the linkage on the rear of the #3 carb, which I'm sure is incorrect.

• There's a space at the bottom of the bolt that should not be there.
  • The bracket on the end of the linkage arm interferes with the accelerator pump arm.
Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
There is a washer that goes next to the carb body and the fuel inlet plate should be flush against the carb.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Sorry for the long delay -- we were away for a month visiting grandchildren.

And thanks to morriscatt, who sent me one which I now have installed. And while I'm at it, thanks also to Stu (newday777) for the synchronizing screw, which is now installed also.

Your very welcome Just doing what others here have done for me.
Patrick

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a washer that goes next to the carb body and the fuel inlet plate should be flush against the carb.
Thanks, Dave. I was hoping you'd respond. I'm assuming that the washer goes in the space that I mentioned and that the fuel inlet plate needs to be tighter against the carb body at the base of the fuel inlet pipe.

For some reason the inlet plate is so tight on the fuel pipe that I haven't been able to get it flush against the carb; I'll have to investigate that again. Maybe once it's flush, the bracket will fit correctly too. Thanks, again.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For some reason the inlet plate is so tight on the fuel pipe that I haven't been able to get it flush against the carb; I'll have to investigate that again. Maybe once it's flush, the bracket will fit correctly too. Thanks, again.
On this particular carb, the fuel plate tightens on the expanded diameter of the fuel pipe and does not fit flush against the carb. (The pipe is seated correctly.) I might be able to hammer it into place, but it doesn't appear to be designed for that. I did find a washer to fit the space along the shoulder bolt.

Could I have your comments on the following:

• Please note the position of the accelerator pump rod on the bracket. Is this correct?
  • The new Randakk-supplied pump rod seems a tad long -- that is, the diaphragm doesn't fit flush in place on the carburetor. It sticks up a hair. (RCH) Has anyone else experienced this? I may be able to force it in place with the cover.
Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Throttle cable problem

As you can see in the photo below, the carbs on this GL1100 are back in the bike with just one cable installed, the one that controls acceleration. It operates correctly when the throttle is twisted.

The other, the return cable, seems to be too short, which is of course impossible. The puck on the end of the return cable is in the proper hole in the spring loaded spindle -- that is, the hole nearest the bottom of the spindle -- but there is not enough slack in the cable to get the assembly into the bracket. What have I done wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
The routing of the cables does not look correct. They should go up between the air box and the frame, not under the frame to the outside as shown. In order to get them installed you need to hook the cable ends before sliding the carb.s in, then when they are near center you reach in where the air box goes to hook them to the bracket and tighten them up.

I have seen similar issues with the cables if they are not routed correctly, and also if the cable holder arm/spring assy. is assembled incorrectly or damaged.

Have you loosened the adjusters in the cables?

ADDED: I noticed the post before last; if the fuel inlet holder and arm that is near it are not assembled correctly it will not sit flush. I have seen this many times. Did you get that figured out? Also, it looks like you are missing a washer and cotter pin on the choke arm.

Bill

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.