Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone and may the New Year bring you peace and happiness.

Now: How do you remove the diaphragms from the accelerator pump and air cut-off valve? They're held in place between two plates (see below). Do the plates screw or twist off? Do you just pry them apart with a screw driver? What's the best way to do it safely with damaging anything? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
First off, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone and may the New Year bring you peace and happiness.

Now: How do you remove the diaphragms from the accelerator pump and air cut-off valve? They're held in place between two plates (see below). Do the plates screw or twist off? Do you just pry them apart with a screw driver? What's the best way to do it safely with damaging anything? Thanks.
they come in a kit or you can buy them seperate , when everything is clean very clean , clean it again the older 1100,s the small jet wont come out so it is very hard to get a good rebuild, if it is the newer version they come out , i did my carbs also a 1100 1982 with 28000 miles in the process of painting now while it is cool outside 60 ish !

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Merry Christmas.
They are replaced as a unit
http://www.randakks.com/Carb Parts.htm#9A

you might be able to pull the rubber off and stretch the new on.
Why do you want to take them apart?
Stu,
Thanks for your super-quick reply. I guess I misinterpreted Howard Halasz' instructions. He wrote:

"Discard the accelerator pump diaphragm, spring, O-ring, and rubber stem boot." I should have realized that meant the whole assembly. Or I could have looked at the parts in Randakk's kit.

Darn! (I had to spend two hours in front of the fireplace drinking eggnog.)

Thanks for straightening me out.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
No problem, must have been the eggnog!
God Bless, it's off to see the grand kids now and dinner and eggnog!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Guy10596, I have a follow-up question on your comment that the small jet on the older 1100's is difficult to get out. How many jets do the 1100 carbs have? I'm working on an 82 Aspy. I've done two of the carbs (right side), and have removed and cleaned a large and small brass jet in each. Is there a third, smaller jet in that third "pipe"? Not sure what to call it, but the apparatus the jets screw in to resembles a pipe. Do the 1100 carbs have only the two jets, or is there a third smaller jet? Thx...

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy10596, I have a follow-up question on your comment that the small jet on the older 1100's is difficult to get out. How many jets do the 1100 carbs have? I'm working on an 82 Aspy. I've done two of the carbs (right side), and have removed and cleaned a large and small brass jet in each. Is there a third, smaller jet in that third "pipe"? Not sure what to call it, but the apparatus the jets screw in to resembles a pipe. Do the 1100 carbs have only the two jets, or is there a third smaller jet? Thx...
Just the two, sw. On the 80 and 81 versions the small/slow speed jets are pressed in, but on the 82's, they screw in, as you already know. Here's a link to a good tutorial on how to clean your carbs:

http://filipi.com/ngw/roady/Carb_Overhaul_GL1100.pdf

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Thanks Pete!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.