Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed today when I left the clutch slipped some in 4th and 5th.:shock: It was about 40 outsidebut seemed to get better becouse I didn't notice it after a few miles. Tonight I noticed it agian,It wasabout 40 and after about 6 or 7 miles Ifelt it slip in 4th as I was going up hill :?.I looked and thewater temp still looked low so I stopped at a store for5 mins or so and left the bike running, Temp was almost up to normal but it still slipped in 4th and 5th :stumped:. I amuseing RotellaT 15-40 oil and I admit my clutch has neverbeen perfectbutthis is alot worse then it has ever been. I have beenplanning to do the seafoam in the motor oil to see if that helps but this really has me worried. Is my oil just too heavy? What wouldeveryone recomend? I seem to recall the manual saying the 15-40 would be fine for these temps :baffled: ????

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

How's the freeplay on the lever? If it has some freeplay the clutch is probably just worn out.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I run 15 W 40 here & we have heavy frost every morning, It's cold! Bike fires up, runs will & clutch has no issues. Oil is not your issue. Try the sea foam in the oil To help clean everything, And try again with 10 w 40. See what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

how many miles on the bike? does it still slip once you warm up? have you adjusted the clutch? have you tried a little MMO in the oil? Have you tried a lighter weight oil in the winter? Are you an aggresive driver?

all of the above can effect this issue

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

i have some clutch slip problems when i ride the old girl hard. did the sea foam help your problem?..i hope to get the bike out of winter storage soon and wonder if i should be thinking of a clutch rebuild or not. i dont usually run the bike hard, but if i want to, i want it to be able to take it. Or is there anything else i should do. eplace the spring in the clutch maybe?

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

Check the cable first. I had the same thing happen and I could not believe how easy the clutch operated with a new cable. I had gotten used to the hard pull over time and it eventually caused the clutch to slip when cold.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

I had nothing but trouble with my '82 1100 clutch from the moment I bought it. Adjust the cable as mentioned. If that shows no improvement.....you might want to think of replacing the fiber plates and springs. The parts aren't that bad at all. When you start talking about the metal plates you are out some larger funds for sure. The springs are under 20.00.....and the fiber plates I got from the EBC brake company were about 60.00.

I found little help on the forum on this....because the clutch rarely fails on a wing, thus many don't know how. I tried seafoam and oil changes but no help. In the end? I replaced my clutch and cable with great result. And my bike had only 50,000 miles on it.

I will say, that when I had the clutch open......I ran the bike to see what would happen. There was only a small amount of oil that is delivered to the clutch as she runs. It flows through the center shaft sparingly. That said....cold weather could reduce the flow especially if oil is bad/to thick. There could have been a previous contamination of the fiber plates that you are not aware of as well.

The clutch can be done with motor in. It's tight but can be done. (I did it) You should have the six spring type clutch.......and there won't be a center adjustment cap through the clutch cover. Just need to stack the plates right......and take care to remove/re-install the 6 bolts gradually as you could crack the bugger. Not that bad of a job.......patience is needed from the very start as the clutch cover bolts have just enough room to get out. I have a clutch tool I made for the center lock nut I could mail you if you want. I sold my 1100 so I don't need it.

My advice? Go ahead and replace it. As you said....the clutch has never been all that great to begin with. Spend the three hours to make it right. I could help if you need it friend,

RED

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

If your clutch is slipping, just replace the friction disks and be done with it. In the long run it's not worth dicking around with. When reinstalling the spring bolts turn them a quarter to a half turn past snug and leave them at that. They snap long before you'll ever get them to the recommended 10ft/lbs of torque. Trust me on this one. I snapped THREE complete sets of them before I figured it out.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Broke winger and I had a similar problem last summer. I read his thread and avoided snapping the bolts. That's some good advice.
RED

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.