Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited my GW from my grandfather bout 2 years ago. I ride street bikes and dirt bikes and do my own maintenance. The GW was bought brand new in 1982 and was ridden until 2003 and was parked. Even though garaged it still needs a little tlc. I have been looking online at Haynes and J C Whitley for a maintenance and/or tech book and have been unsuccessful. Even though I am very handy with a wrench and "winging" it a manual would be greatly appreciated. I have been putting it off for bout a year and just got it in my shop to start my late winter project, but thanks everyone any and all information would be handy.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum bigjay82

The Honda manual is best to use. As said, the others are lacking in details.

If there was gas left in the carbs and tank, they will need a thorough cleaning, you will most likely need to strip apart the carbs and boil them(only all the metal parts, again stripped clean of all parts) for 20 min in distilled water as there are tiny ports that just a little speck of gum will throw the balance of the carbs off and you will fight with it until you decide, gee I shoulda woulda coulda. Many stories of peeps not following this step have had many a woeful tune.
Use rebuild kits from Randakks, his have the best rubber parts available other than Honda and his site has great instructions too. Do Not buy the cheap kits if you want it to run right.
http://randakks.com/

Empty the old gas in the tank from the fuel line off the petcock into a container, do not reuse, pull the float from the tank, has a ring to turn off that holds it in place, inspect the tank for rust. If rusty, do an electrolysis cleaning(in place), instructions are located in our Reference and Faqs section forum. That will clean the tank like new without chemicals or cream coatings that will plug the pickup screens.

Napa has a great fuel filter for @ $5, (Honda is $16-$25 ea depending on the stealer) it's clear so you can keep an eye on it and the gas filters(any you use) need changing yearly. It's a little bigger diameter so to get the clamp on you will need to bend the clamp a little and maybe get a longer screw(metric) from the hardware store. The filter is under the front of the gas tank, follow the hose from the petcock.

Got any questions, just ask. Post replies here with any running questions and not start new topics so to keep all the info given in one place for now to save double answers or request for info from you. Otherwise if you post a new topic you will have to enter all info as to what you have for you bike, exactly what has been done and eliminated or you'll get a flurry of questions for info from you to input to be able to help you in your problem. Short questions lacking full info tend to get confusion going fast.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Keep us posted with replies here as to how it is going, it helps those that are searching that don't ask and use the forum search tool looking for answers to their problem.

:waving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.