Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,185 Posts
The one I've used for the last few years is Delo 400 SDE API CK-4/SN ISOSYN SAE15W-40 Heavy duty diesel oil.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've been using Valvoline MAX-Life 10w40 Semi-Synthetic (No friction modifiers) in the 1100 for years, in fact use it in EVERYTHING (including the lawnmower). But since I bought the 1500, I'm also stocking Rotella T6 5w40 Diesel oil.

I hate keeping multiple oils around, and the Valvoline 10w40 is getting harder to find (Lots of 10w30 around but has friction modifiers) so I'm thinking to start using the Rotella in everything. The price is right....

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
I've been using Valvoline MAX-Life 10w40 Semi-Synthetic (No friction modifiers) in the 1100 for years, in fact use it in EVERYTHING (including the lawnmower). But since I bought the 1500, I'm also stocking Rotella T6 5w40 Diesel oil.

I hate keeping multiple oils around, and the Valvoline 10w40 is getting harder to find (Lots of 10w30 around but has friction modifiers) so I'm thinking to start using the Rotella in everything. The price is right....
Do you use 10-40 in your car? If you do that is not a very good thing. I found this article to explain why. It tells the story much better than me. :)
https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/engine/diagnosing-oil-consumption-issues/

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dave, Denver and Chili: Thanks for responding.

I tried to find the Delo 400 SDE heavy duty diesel, which is what I'd been using, but Walmart didn't have it. Since no one has said "Don't use it", I think I'll just try out the XLE this year until it causes problems or I hear otherwise.

·
Administrator
57,441 Posts
Do you use 10-40 in your car? If you do that is not a very good thing. I found this article to explain why. It tells the story much better than me. :)
https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/engine/diagnosing-oil-consumption-issues/

on a lot of GM cars, there is a statement that use of any oil "other than" 5w20 will void the warranty.

our 2007 Pontiac Vibe has been on 5w20 pure synthetic since the first oil change, we change it once a year... regardless of miles.

once, when my wife was in the hospital more than at home, I forgot it, and it went two years...... I sent that oil sample in to find out if I had "ruined the engine". nope, Blackstone labs said I could continue to use the same 16,000 mile change period if I wished to do so.

I don't, back on annual changes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,441 Posts
my 2001 Suburban with a 5.3L Vortec is leaking oil at the rate of about 1 quart per 2,000 miles. the entire bottom of the engine is wet. the odometer is at 212,500 miles.

it has new intake manifold gaskets, PVC, etc gaskets. all done prior to our Florida trip.

I forgot to look at the oil level in Florida and we then went to Savanna, GA.
Enjoyed the area a lot, but got a surprise in Savannah when the dash light came on and stated "OIL LEVEL LOW"

huh? was not aware that feature was on 2001 vehicles.
Sure as heck, the oil was just barely touching the bottom of the dipstick.

3 quarts of oil later, the light went out, the level showed 1 mark below FULL, and I left it at that.

the 2007 Pontiac Vibe at 98,000 miles uses about 1/2 quart per year, which is about 8,000 miles.

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
Shouldn't we be using JASO ME rated oil intended for wet clutch engines?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Most, if not all heavy duty diesel oils are JASO rated. They are very popular for motorcycles ATVs etc.

·
Administrator
24,364 Posts
I learned, or should have learned that lesson a long time ago. My first car was a 1953 plymouth, it used quite a bit of oil until I change it to 20wt instead of 30wt. Then I followed the crowd that thought that 20w50 was the only thing to use in everything, then some years later learned that was wrong. Use what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
JASO started in 2006 I believe. Google it

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I know the JASO rating. What I was saying is that JASO is just the name of the rating system. You need the MA or MA2 or whatever attached. That is the actual rating.

Oh, and "ME" is not a 4 stroke motorcycle rating. Don't know what kind of motor that rating is for.

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
You mean other than the fact that it's designed and manufactured for an entirely different type of motor which is designed for an entirely different usage and completely different performance parameters?

No. It's your bike. You may mistreat it any way you like.

·
Administrator
57,441 Posts
You mean other than the fact that it's designed and manufactured for an entirely different type of motor which is designed for an entirely different usage and completely different performance parameters?

No. It's your bike. You may mistreat it any way you like.

Dennis,
that is just a bunch of hooey... they are all water cooled engines, and just because it was designed to handle the extreme pressures of a diesel engine, does NOT negate it being a good oil for the Goldwing engines..... as long as, the viscosity range is correct for the area of use.

if the back side of that jug has the bottom half of the circle blank, it is a good oil for our bikes.

I am using Rotella T6 in 5w40, and it is a pure synthetic.
they don't make a 5w30 which I would prefer.... but they do make 5w20 which would be a bit thin I think at operating temperature.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i have been using Shell Rotella 15-40 in all my vehicles for many years. It is a heavy duty diesel oil but meets or exceeds all the specs for all the engines I use it in. I have been a auto mechanic and also my own motorcycle mechanic for many years. Show me how a engine knows the difference from one oil to another??? I run around 5000 to 8000 miles between changes depending on type of driving done on the vehicle between the changes. All my vehicles except the new to me 1999 GL 1500 SE have in excess of 100,000 miles on them and are running strong. Just like my cousins Cummins Diesel trucks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For my bikes, I like Rotella T5 10w40 or Rotella T3 15w40. If I can't get my hands on these, then I've been known to use

Castrol RX Super 15w40
Castrol Syntec Blend Truck and 4X4 15w40
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40
SuperTech 2000 (WalMart) 15w40
Valvoline All Fleet 15w40

Never had a problem. No clutch slippage.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts