Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good friend of mine bought this 82 1100A running fine ...the head lights were not on while running ....so he cleans the fuse connections on fuse box ...gets everything working .
bike was running fine . after getting all the fuses lit up in the fuse box he starts the bike and now its running like crap ...only running on 2 cyclinders .
we checked the coils and the right coil is not fireing now .
its hot across the top but no fire to the wires on the right side coil .
I have an extra coil set so we tried it ...no help still no fire out of the new right coil .
anyone have any Ideas on what the problem could be ? I hate wireing even someone elses . give me an easy fix please :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the spark unit the little 3 x3 inch black box ...I was thinking maybe that was something like a ICU unit and just maybe it wasnt fireing on the right side . I hope your right I have an extra unit we can try .

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
There isn't a right and left ignition coil. One coil fires 1&3, the other 2&4. How have you figured which cylinders aren't firing? You have to both plugs firmly grounded(1&3, 2&4) to check.
If the right side isn't working, I'd check fuel to the right side carbs and after that, a compression test.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Sorry, I have my cylinder numbers wrong. The ignition system uses a "wasted" spark set-up as each coil fires plugs on both sides of the engine, one cylinder(1) is on the compression side when the coil fires and the cylinder(2) on the opposite side is on the exhaust stroke. Hence the "wasted" spark. Is the bike running cold on one side or is it that you're losing ignition on both sides such as 1 & 2 being dead?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was refering to the right and left coil as their placement on the bike ...one is on the right side of the frame one on the left both setting in a bracket mounted under the frame back .
each coil does fire one cylinder on each side of the engine .
which makes for an easy limp home if one coil goes out .
I have an extra set of those little spark units off a donor wing ...
I`ll give them a try tomorrow and report back if thats the fix .
thanks guys
neither one of us knew what those little boxes were for ... I thought they were relays to add a latte machine :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
replaced the spark unit today .... no fixy goldwing still broke
funny it runs good on 2 cylinders ....but we sure would like to see it run on all 4
now what ? honda master tech time ? sure would hate to do that but Im running out of things to try .
is the black box on the left frame side over the spark units an icu or something ...I unplugged it and it still runs without it plugged in .

·
Registered
211 Posts
it might be as simple as bad wires, connectors or boots, or the coil is dead. is there 12v going to the coil?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the hot wires going to the coils are good to go .
my friend tells me today he was cleaning the connectors on the fuse box because the head lite was not working ..there was a spark at the fuse box and it blew the 30 amp dog bone main fuse ..
he replaced the dog bone main fuse ...everything was working after that ...except when he cranked the bike ..now its running on 2 cylinders
I dont see any burnt wires from what he did ..

·
Registered
211 Posts
remove the left side battery cover. unplug the 4 wire pulse generator connector. with an ohm meter test white and blue/yellow wires for #1&2 cyl, test white/blue and blue for #3&4. each test should read 530+/- 50 ohms @68 degrees f. only way to teast spark units is to replace with a known good one. if you have 12 v going into the coil and nothing coming out replace the coil. that's what my book says.

·
Registered
211 Posts
check the wiring to the starter button/kill switch, you may have a short there

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Someone on here suggested using a timing light to see if there is spark traveling thru the spark plug wires , I like that idea... It's a easy way to see if you are truley get spark or not...

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
It just occurred to that if you have a constant voltage all the time at the coil, the coil won't produce spark as the field has to collapse to create a spark. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-does-an-ignition-coil-work.html
I'm now leaning towards a shorted component in that coils circuitry. You mentioned that there was an event where the main fuse blew. Something got grounded that wasn't supposed to.

Hope this helps and I wish I knew what next to check to help you. I would use a meter and compare values between the left and right coil circuitry.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
if you have 12 v going into the coil and nothing coming out replace the coil. that's what my book says.
According to wiring schematic, these coils use a ballast, or dropping resistor.
They should never have 12volts going to them.
12v on the input side of the ballast, probably around 6-9 volts on the output to the coils.
The statement that the voltage to the coils is "good to go", is pretty vague.
Both coils are fed by the same source off the ballast. The crimp or connection may be faulty allowing voltage to one coil and not the other.
Just what is the voltage at the coils, engine running? Both coils.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
if you have 12 v going into the coil and nothing coming out replace the coil. that's what my book says.
That is only 1/2 of what it takes to make it work, the - side of the coil has to be switched on and off for it to fire.

check the wiring to the starter button/kill switch, you may have a short there
It does run so why check that?

According to wiring schematic, these coils use a ballast, or dropping resistor.
They should never have 12volts going to them.
12v on the input side of the ballast, probably around 6-9 volts on the output to the coils.
If the - side of the coil is not grounded there will be 12v at the coil even with the resistor.

·
JR
256 Posts
Ol school, I had same problem on my 83. I lost lost fire to rear cyls. Turns out it was broken wire in pulse generator. Not sure if 82's are same. Quote from Dave0430 that helped me out. - "OK, if you switch the wires on the coils and the other coil sparks that indicates both coils are good. If you switch the spark units and still no spark on the 1 coil but the other still fires that indicates both spark units work. Check for power on the bl/w wire to the spark unit, if good that leaves a bad pulse generator or the wiring between it and the spark unit. 1100 PGs hardly ever fail but it is still possible." Hope this is helpful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.