Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed thursday my bike was getting hard to start when it was hot, but didn't really pay it much mind. Today I rode it about 5 miles and stopped at a store when I tried to start it up agian it was hard to start and when it did start I noticed it didn'tsound right. It had a dead miss came strait home (about 2 miles) pulled the plug wires it was the rear cyl on the right side (sitting on the bike) changed plug (it looked fine) still missing. just stuck a plug in the cap and turned the motor over and it was sparking fine. Well let everything cool went out just now started up and ran fine all cyl fireing and all pipes getting hot :baffled:. I just ran some sea foam through the tank before,Could itbe carbon. Or at worst mabie just valves out of adjustment? I have some work about 40 miles away starting monday and need the bike.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

you might have a resister in your spark plug boot failing. you can buy new ones for around $7 each. they dont have to be from honda, but they do have to be designed for a bike. they screw on to your plug wires and the small screw goes into your solid core of your plug wire.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

I would suggest replacing all four plug boots (part number XD05F they are made by NGK) They run about 4 bucks each.

When you replace them cut about an inch off your wires t make sure you will get good clean wire to screw into.

You could also have a bad coil. There could be a crack or thin area inthe coils housing that when hot it allowing spark to "leak" out.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

SeaFoam can break do-do free and clog jets

Get on the interstate and blow the do-do-out

May not be a bad idea to crack a sediment bowl drain screw and see if any do-do comes out

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the info guys

Hatchetman I don't see any set screws on the plug caps. :baffled:

Brokewinger Any chance I could get them at a auto parts store or will I need to order them from someone online or the dealer? What about wires as well?

It did it agian this morning and I removed the plug cap and it is getting spark.

SC I thought about trying to run it out but was afraid with one cyl down I might cause more damage.

I did notice it seemed to miss fire (fire during the exhaust stroke) when it did it this morning.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok I went out and swapped the caps from front to rear, No change still loosing the same cyl.It is like it reaches a cirtain temp (my temp gauge does not work) and you just turn that cyl off.But even cold that cyl does not seem as strong as the rest.

The bike does have the normal hole in the exaust at the end of the head pipe that I patched with jb weld but I have no idea how long it has been riddenwith a major hole in it before I got it so I am really thinking burnt valve. But I am not understandingwhy it seems worse once the bike gets warm.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i think hatchet's got it ....and bad wires...oh!!... failing pickup too??hatchetman wrote:
un screw the plug boot from the wire and look inside where the wire came out of.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check the valve clearances, as an engine warms up parts expand. That cylinder may have less valve clearance than the other when cold and close up to nothing once warmed up and holding a valve open, probably the exhaust valve. If the intake valve was hanging open it would backfire through the carbs when it fires. Do a compression check to be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Check the valve clearances, as an engine warms up parts expand. That cylinder may have less valve clearance than the other when cold and close up to nothing once warmed up and holding a valve open, probably the exhaust valve. If the intake valve was hanging open it would backfire through the carbs when it fires. Do a compression check to be sure.
There is a good possibility..

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts
imported post

Actually the valve clearance gets wider on an overhead cam engine when it is hot. The valve head expands to increase the clearance more than the stem expands to decrease it.
I'm in the bad coil crowd. It can be weak enough to not fire the plug in the cylinder and still show spark in the open air.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.