Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on an 82, which side of the airbox does the engine breather hose connect? on mine it is on the left and the right side goes to the little evap can underneath. this seems wrong somehow as when i put the bike on the side stand wouldn't any moisture go in the engine, instead of the can? i tried to swap them out but the engine hose wont reach the right side.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Not familiar with the 1100 setup, but moisture will always get into the engine, through the air filter/carbs/open intake valves, and through the exhaust/open exhaust valves. Moisture will also condense inside a cold engine. If it is cold enough and humid enough, there will be enough moisture to turn the oil white, until the engine is run long enough to evaporate the water. Next morning it will be the same way again.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
moisture will always get into the engine, through the air filter/carbs/open intake valves, and through the exhaust/open exhaust valves. Moisture will also condense inside a cold engine. If it is cold enough and humid enough, there will be enough moisture to turn the oil white, until the engine is run long enough to evaporate the water.
Basically correct.
But the large hose from the left side of the engine is to allow those "vapors" to be collected and reintroduced into the combustion cycle. The 1200's have a water separator which collects a certain amount of moisture and holds it in a catch receiver.
It is a crankcase ventilation system. It uses venturi vacuum in the air box, instead of the intake manifold pcv you're use to seeing on your cars. Because it doesn't use manifold vacuum, it is not referred to as "PositiveCrankcaseVentilation".
It is just VAPOR. It isn't a slug of water that's going to contaminate the motor.

Next morning it will be the same way again.
It better not!!
This is one of the downfalls of starting your bike during the winter to lubricate the engine. The oil doesn't get hot enough to boil out the moisture, so all you do is end up emulsifying the oil and moisture. If you start the bike, you should be taking it on a good 20-30 mile trip to burn off moisture in the oil.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Usually I am able to rid it a bit, but even if I can't, I still start it up and let it run for a while at least once a week. Condensation is why I change the oil one a month if it is not being ridden much. Having worked on engines all my life, it just offends my sensibilities to let an engine just set there for a long period of time. My belief is that things which were designed to move should be moved. Others feel differently, and usually have reasons for feeling that way. I suggest doing it whichever way seems right to you.

If a bike really is going to be stored for a few months without being ridden much, I also drain the tank and carbs, and fill them with non ethanol gas (which can be quite expensive if you have to buy race gas to get it) with stabilizer in it. I know that it will last at least a year, which to me makes it worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
You live in Arizona. Just how long do you lay your bike up for in the winter?
If you didn't start it up and run it every week, you wouldn't have to change the oil every month.
And you can't start it up and run it every so often if the carb bowls are empty, can you.
If you live north of the mason dixon line, you pretty much have to store it for an extended period of time, regardless of how it offends your sensibilities.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Jerry I would think that condensation in your engine oil would almost be nonexistent in your dry climate. Be careful of running the engine for short periods of time and then allowing it to cool as this does promote condensation. A reasonable ride over 30 mins at full operational temperature will help the moisture evaporate out of the crankcase.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, it was just one of those "why'd they do it that way" questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.