Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GW that was put together from a 77 1000 and an 82 1100

everything but engine is 77 and Engine is 82 1100.

IS the output shaft of the 82 shorter than that of the 77?
or is the 77 drive shaft shorter than that of the 82 machine?

I have a .5 inch on splines showing when i put the 2 pieces together which does not allow the locking ring to hold the drive shaft locked into the output shaft properly.

Any ideas on this issue please let me know.

Thank you,
Ira

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Hard to visualize, are you saying the 82 drive shaft is too short for the 77 rear drive? I would think you have a few options:
1) replace motor with proper motor
2) replace rear with 82 rear??
3) cut and weld drive shaft to make it longer??
4) if it works, leave it alone.

I'd go with #4 until I could afford #1.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Only the engine is 82.

the drive shaft does not meet up on the output splines the full distance.

Which is to short? the 82 engine out put shaft or the 77 drive shaft leading to the rear tire?

I found this out last night when the drive shaft separated from the output shaft while I was riding.

SO i am trying to fix the mess but I dont know which one is to short to have it replaced.

I was hoping the experience on this forum would be able to shed some light on this issue.

Thanks,
Ira

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

I have a 82 shaft, Could disasamble , and measure. would that help? bee a couple of day to get to it!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

That would be awesome but I dont want to put you to the effort it both shafts are the same length.

Does anyone know a way to find out whether a 77 and 82 drive shafts are the same length or not?

If the 82 is longer I would love to get a hold of one. I would pay for it if its not to wild on the price. :)

Ira

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

I have an 1100 shaft on my 76. If that helps any.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It may. Now that makes me wonder if it is possible that we may have the wrong drive shaft entirely. if it were the wrong shaft would it match up for the splines to the output shaft on the tranny?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

you might want to check the swingarm ....there is no difference in the motor output shafts at all ....it sounds to me thaT A 1100 swingarm has been installed maybe on the 1000 frame ...not an easy mod i know ive done it anyway when its done that way the standard 1100 driveshaft is tolarge and the 1000 shaft is to short ...the drivshaft has to be redone ...im pretty sure this is what up on your bike cause the motor makes no difference at all if the 1000 swingarm was used .....its understandable to switch final drives because of the gearing in the 1100 motor would make it like a drag bike with super low gears ....the 1000 drivshaft needs to be one inch longer...thats my guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.