Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a stupid question. I'm in the process of rebuilding my barn find (82 GL1100A) and am at the point of replacing the fork oil (finished the seals today). I have a Honda manual, and for the life of me, I can't find the weight nor type of oil for the forks. The only thing I see is a notation (page 12-7) that says to use 270 cc's of ATF when replacing the oil. Yet when reading through some of the old threads here, there are references to both 10W and 15W BelRay oil. Any suggestions on the correct oil would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
My Chilton manual said to use ATF and that what I did. Sorry don't remember how many oz's I used. You can use " fork oil" but I used store brand ATF, and the front end felt and handled fine. When I changed the fork oil on my old Harley police bike, I went to the dealer and bought their fluid. It looked and smelled just like ATF. Just cost more.,,

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
ATF is about 7.5 weight oil. The higher number fork oil will change the ride from cushy Harley ride to to sport bike response in the twisties.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stu, what weight do you recommend?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was told not to use ATF from a car. The car ATF has stuff(not clean) inside of it and will also cause the seals to go bad, this is what I was told by a couple of dealers. Was told that one group might be 7.5W and the next case could be 10W. I ended up using 10W fork oil.
My Clymer book says 80-81 7 oz or 220cc , 82 9.8 oz or 290cc.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Start with the 10 wt belray. If you don't like it, go to the 15 wt next year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks to all who replied. I was going to use ATF in mine as well.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I was told not to use ATF from a car. The car ATF has stuff(not clean) inside of it and will also cause the seals to go bad, this is what I was told by a couple of dealers. Was told that one group might be 7.5W and the next case could be 10W. I ended up using 10W fork oil.
My Clymer book says 80-81 7 oz or 220cc , 82 9.8 oz or 290cc.
Car ATF? Is there any other? And there is probably nothing cleaner than ATF. I would imagine they were just trying to sell you fork oil. I've used nothing but ATF, cheapest brand I could find, in all of the 4 cylinder Goldwings for many thousands of miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.