Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have to replace my battery, I was considering a gel type battery. Several people are suggesting that the charging system (or electrical system) is not compatible for that type of battery... I can't imagine why myself, Is there any known issues with "gel batteries" in the "82 - 1100cc Aspencade?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I've read a bit about Gel batteries and find that it may be true that certain Gel batteries wont get charged properly in the early Goldwings.

We're talking GEL batteries, not AGM's.
Many refer to AGM's as Gel type which is not correct.
AFAIK all AGM's are compatible with our charging system.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nah, they'll do fine. I recommend an AGM battery like the Odyssey. The only difference with some of the new type batteries is recharging them if they are allowed to go completely flat. Most of them require a hefty initial charge current then, they probably wouldn't charge properly just using the bike's sytem. I had only good results with an Odyssey PC680 in my 1100.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Use the AGM, not gel. Two totally different technologies. A gel battery is good for your computer UPS (which I need to change mine, come to think of it....)

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I have a Deka absorbed glas mat batt they sold me at the Honda shop , very good to me for the last year or so. Cost just under a hundred.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I'm using a sealed gel from interstate on my 81 GL1100interstate and have found no charging problems with it. I didn't put a battery tender on it just started it up when I couldn't ride and took it out for a couple hours on the days that were mild battery held up nice all winter. Plus side to these bateries if you want to relocate them you can mount in any position and they don't leak.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You can go to www.batteriesplus.com and look for a local store.

I bought a sealed battery from them $85 or so. $30 more than fillable ones. They claim the fiberglass isides resist the pounding from motorcycles. Who knows?

They have gel batteries too. If you know the physical size, they have them. I understand the resistance in a gel battery is different making them better for UPS. However, a friend of mine put one in a VMax, so it can be done.

Buy a battery tender from Walmart; $19. Batteries Plus wanted $50!! for the exact same item. No bargain for batteries at Wallymart, though.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pounding from motorcycles?:cheeky1:NOT a factor for a 'Wing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.