Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My new to me '82 Aspencade idles perfectly and runs great under hard throttle. When cruising, however, especially at lower RPMs, it makes a "chuff-chuff" sound from the front of the engine area and loses power momentarily as if it's a misfire.

Carbs were just synched, (were supposedly rebuilt just before I got the bike) and I've run Seafoam through 3 tanks of gas with no improvement. Plugs look new. Wires look good and are seated tightly.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I doubt it's a vacuum lak if it only happens sometimes. I know you said the plug leads look good, but I'd still suspect them or the plug caps.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'll try misting the leads and caps with water this evening to see if it makes it worse. That should be a good indicator if they are OK.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, if spraying the wires / boots with water made any difference it was negligible. If the parts are readily available and inexpensive I may replace them just to rule them out, but at this point I don't think they are the issue. Guess I'll check out Bike Bandit for prices.

Edit: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1982-honda-gl1100a-gold-wing-aspencade/o/m2334#sch34927
OUCH!!! Looks as if I would need (2) Seal Suppressors (not available) and (4) Cap Assys. Can I just get some spark plug wire and replace the wire? How about aftermarket caps? Do they work?

10: [align=center] 625213
$14.51 11:[/align] - SEAL, SUPPRESSOR

$21.56
Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what this could be?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Plug wires or plugs are going to malfunction worse under load. that is not what you discribe.
I am leaning more toward carbs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

What RPM are we talking about? The 4 bangers really don't like to be lugged.

And...it's always been my understanding that low end misfire is carb related, high end is ignition problems.

And...try www.westernhonda.com for OEM stuff. Lower prices and better customer service.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Under 3,000 RPMs. Above that and it does not "chuff" once it's warm.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

It does not feel as if it's lugging. It feels like it's misfiring.

EDIT:
I got video of this - I am uploading to Photobucket right now. I'll post the link as soon as it finishes.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I am having a similar problem with my 84 GL1200A- various sites lean to an inexpensive air cut off valve that fails, allowing engine to run lean and causing low rpm problems... Mine runs great over 2500, but under 1800 (stuck in traffic) is rather unsettling- which is what brought me to this site... Im trying to figure how hard it is to replace this $16 part.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Air cut off valves aren't bad to do. You want to make sure all the vacuum hoses are in good condition too !

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Change your fuel filter. The Seafoam loosens all kinds of stuff.Changed mine a month ago and she's ready again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

Your video sounds like you have a plug misfiring, I would get some new plugs and gap them to specs. I know you said they looked new one plug could faulty (weak spark)

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Mine does that too with a cold motor, fine when it's warmed up, I figured that since it never goes below 2500rpm in normal riding unless your at a light and it doesn't do it on idling either, then forget it, I actually have thought that it might be primary chain slap like you getwhen you don't give it enough gas away from a stop sign or a light. All I know iseven with that, I'd ride mine clear across the desert from here to the Pacific and not even give it a thought.

But hey, if you come up with something simple to fix it with, let me know, I'd love to hear it. But if ain't simple, I can for damn sure put up with it.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

I would bet it is the carbs. I bought an 83 that had the carbs "rebuilt" and it did exactly what you describe. I pulled the carbs and found the float levels all different and the mixture screws set to 1 1/4 turns like 80-81 models. I set the floats and turned the mix screws out to 3 1/2 turns, resynched and it would cruise along at 2000RPM smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Dave 0430 has probably hit the target, but before pulling the carbs try resetting your plug gap to minimum specifications, that is the smallest allowable gap size. Use a wire gauge instead of a flat feeler. Then see if this "chuffing" is lessened.

Also inspect your ignition complete, from coil primary to secondary to caps to plugs.

If all OK then retest at various loads and speeds and note when this chuffing appears or is it now gone.

If still there this modification is not enough, so a carb check is needed.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I'll probably get a new set of plugs and gap them to the minimum as suggested. Since this is primarily a winter bike, I guess I'll go with the hotter range as suggested in the manual.

If it comes down to pulling the carbs I think I am going to try to find someone here in Central PA who might help me with it. I am uncomfortable working on carbs on multi-cylinder bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

my 83 does this also when shes cold. after that no problems. i am afraid you`ll find your problem in the carb`s. first off , i would do a pilot screw adjustment , then do a carb re-sync. if that don't cure it. off come the carbs. good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I just had the carbs synched 2 weeks ago. I thought that might have been the problem. I guess not... :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.