Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

took a 200 mile ride yesterday and blew out the bottom of muffler toward the end.the po had sealed it with what looks like bondo or muffler bandage.want to know if there is anything out to mend hole as the rest of muffler is still good??:?
:?

alan

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The problem is that the Honda mufflers are pretty thin. I had one patched and welded up once. The job looked kind of sh**ty and the weld had distorted the shape, which ultimately made it so it wouldn't fit.

You don't have a fit problem at the end, but you will see it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I welded one up which was blown out the bottom, not all that hard with a mig welder. Ruins the surrounding chrome of course but the pipes look ok painted.
I used a flat metal 4x4 electrical junction box cover, started the weld on one side then wrapped it around the pipe, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld some more, grind some more and paint.

Dunno how long it will last, better than throwing them away.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
I welded one up which was blown out the bottom, not all that hard with a mig welder. Ruins the surrounding chrome of course but the pipes look ok painted.
I used a flat metal 4x4 electrical junction box cover, started the weld on one side then wrapped it around the pipe, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld some more, grind some more and paint.
LOL I use those 4x4 junction box covers for EVERYTHING - spare steel to build all kinds of things. :) I even use one as a kickstand plate, to keep it sinking into soft ground. :)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Do you know anyone that welds? I had the same issue on my 82 Asp and my son's friend filled it in similar to Dan's description. He was so pleased to work on such a nice bike he did it for free. Maybe I could have charged him. I should read more Tom Sawyer.:D

A welder will fill it in and it will last a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.