Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

O.K. Ladies and Gents, here’s a “Seat” question for you.

I have an 82 Aspencade. I am looking to replace the seat. I have been looking at them from JC Whitney, both the seat with and with-out the seat pan. I will probably get the one that has the pan in it because…

From what I have read on their site, I have a choice. I can order the seat for the 82 and have it fit with-out problem OR I could order the Seat for an 83 (that is a bit longer by a few inches) as long as I get a “Trunk Relocation Kit”. I have seen these kits around and I don’t think they are hard to get. JC Whitney does not sell them.

Here’s my question:

I would like the 83 seat. No doubt. Has anyone ever ordered the 83 seat (from JC Whitney) for their 82 bike and used a relocation kit? Does it work?

I would like to hear from anyone that has done this with the JC Whitney seat.

I would like to have a better ride this year. I want to make a couple of longer trips with the old Gals… both the bike and the wife.

I am, as usual, open to recommendations.

Tim.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Might be better to get the luggage rack off a 83 since it sits back the extra 2" required for the 83 seat to fit on the 82. I want to do the same thing in the future to give my wife more room that will also allow me to use my backrest when she's on board.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi again Bagmaster,

That was my understanding of what the Trunk Relocater kit does... move the whole trunk back a few inches. I am not sure how moving the luggage rack would accomplish this unless I am not understanding your term of "luggage rack" is.

When I think "luggage rack" I think of the chrome rack that is bolted to the top half of your trunk.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Might be better to get the luggage rack off a 83 since it sits back the extra 2" required for the 83 seat to fit on the 82. I want to do the same thing in the future to give my wife more room that will also allow me to use my backrest when she's on board.
That's what I did. The rack of an 83 locates the trunk about 2" further back and bolts directly in place of the earlier rack. I retained the earlier seat and was considering moving it to the rearmost position thus giving my wife and I an inch more room each. However I didn't like the look of the gap between the faux tank and the seat so I leftthe seatin the middle position. It works out great, I can now use my highway pegs without being accused by my wife of squashing her.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

The luggage rack is the chroe part back there that the trunk attaches to.

And yeah you would probably spend less on a trunk rack ff an '83 than you would on a relocation kit.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi,

Please excuse my crude drawing. I just want to get things right here.

Are you saying that #2 is the trunk rack?? If so, an 83 would still fit my bike (an 82)AND then fit my trunk? It's just longer?

I would have thought that #1 was called a tunk rack. I have had cars in the past that have had trunk racks and they were this kinda idea. You could strap other "items" to you trunk.

All and all it does not matter. I have seen the trunk relocation kits around for $35.00 or so USD. Could you even get a "Trunk Rack" (in your terms) for less?

At any rate, it all seems doable.

Is there anyone out there that has ordered in and used the JC Whitney 82 or 83 seat??? I have a tender touche and want a better seat. ;)I was just wondering about the quality.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

You are correct on #2. That is what I replaced. It bolted straight onto my '80 with no modifications. All I did was swap my the locks over (that lock the trunk to the rack).

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

So does the trunk relocation kit also work on an 83? I have an 83 and would like to move the trunk back some.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

In reference to the 83A, my understanding is that the problem with the '83 and the adjustment platearethe locks the '83 uses to make the trunk removable. I've looked at it because I am tall and I have the seat all of the way to the rear. I question that this mod. isan easyfix without some work on the locks? dj

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

When installing the relocation kits you have to remove the locks. You lose the ability to remove the trunk. One of the forum members made his own relocation plates for the front brackets for an 82 and then moved the locks so his was still removable. I plan to do this sometime in the future if I can't find an 83 trunk rack for my 82.

Look for post by LilPete, he has pics available of the bracket mods he did. Also the way he did it allows the trunk to still be removable.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I don't mean to change the subject exactly butthis is inconjunction with being tall and the seat all the way back. My knees are so cramped even with the seat all of the way back that I have tomount the shifter downward unitl it hits the exhaust in order to upshift. I have a variety of foot rests in place but I don't like to use them in traffic. Have any of you guys come up with any clever ideas for this problem? Boards would only cramp my knees more. The only thing I can thing of to keep my feet near the brake and shifter is to raise the seat padding a couple of inches. I have added barbacks and modified the Markland backrest mounting to push it tothe rear. What passenger space? dj

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Your situation would probably aggrevate the passengers comfort, so, moving the trunk back would help if you travel two up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.