Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While accelerating on my bike; a buzzing noise comes up from the area of the speedometer. It doesn't always happen (maybe 50% of the time). And if it is making the noise, it stops making the noise if I pull in on the clutch.

Do I have maybe a lose cable or something? Just wondering what to check.

Thanks!

Jim

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you may have a dry speedo cable or speedo bearing.

It would be best if you lubed both:

To lube the cable, disconnect it from the back of the speedo and the front axle connection. Then spray a good amount of liquid graphite spray down the cable from the top. Let it run out till it drips out the bottom.

To lube the speedo, get a 1/2" tube about 18 to 24 inches long and a bottle of light weight oil (sewing machine or 3 in One will do). With the cable off, push one end of the tubing over the treads and support the other end elevated as high as possible above the speedo. Squirt some oil into the tubing so that it is filled to a level well above the speedo. Let it stay like that for an hour or two. Lower the high end of the tube to drain the excess oil out and remove the tube.

Connect the cable ends back up and you're set to go.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks!

I'll try this and see how it goes. Sounds like an easy introduction to cycle maintenance. :)

Jim

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

Mine was doing that for a while then it started whirring and the needle starts jumping. Then it quit jumping and the needle stayed on zero. Broken speedo. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.