Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bike was parked by previous owner in 2003 when it started running the battery down. He started riding something else and NEVER got around to working on this bike. I have talked to him for years about me owning this bike and just made it happen for $400. Inside of gas tank look pretty nasty, so I know what I face there. I am looking for solid advice on what to do at this point. I have stripped off the tank cover, fairing, rear fender, trim, wheel, battery and box, and it kinda looks like the picture at left. I have all winter to work on this and it seems that pulling out the engine and going thru it would be the smart plan. (I have been working on bikes for 40 years, but this is my first Gold Wing) The carbs are so fouled up that nothing moves. I have been scoping this forum for the past week and it looks like an awesome community. I really appreciate having a resourcelike this. Advice?

Steve Conner

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Congrats on getting the project.

Here is an unfinished website documenting what I had to do on my 82 Interstate. It sat for about 7 years. I am still filling in the details of the list, but the list is pretty complete.

http://wpctcs02.wpcarey.asu.edu/GL1100/

It is running very well now. I have a bit of electrical work and polishing and cleaning left.

The big issues for me were the carbs and brakes. Though you may have different issues, you very, very likely need to clean out the carbs and replace the rubber. I would definitely get the carb kits and manual from http://www.randakks.com/.

Trent

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

My 83 sat for a few years before I bought it. The carbs were really messed up so I replaced everything with a Randakk carb kit. However, as Mike will suggest you may just want to have it sent off for $400 and have someone ultrasonic clean the rack and replace the worn out parts so you don't have to fiddle with the kit which took me all weekend.

The tank will need cleaning for sure. Rust particles jammed my carb microfilters so bad it wouldn't get gas in two bowls. Sediment was everywhere.

I also changed out the timing belts. Not that hard a job and probably prudent old as the bike is.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

The carb clean out took time ... three tries. But I learned a lot and felt is was worth my time. But I like learning and can live with mistakes and it runs very well. :cool:If you don't want to spend time learning, you may want to send the carbs off to have someone else do them like Chris says.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Hi Steve!

Best advice I can give you at the moment is to have a look at this thread, then decide where to head from there.

[url="http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/55455.html]Resurrecting An Old Wing[/url]

Mike

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have a lot of spare parts for that same year bike.

My 1982 GL1100A got into a fight with a 2008 chevy ( pulled out in frount of me)

I rebuilt it but had to buy another bike for parts? I rode the one I bought for parts

but did not like the way it felt compared to mine. ( only have 12,000 miles on mine)

any way as you can tell from mileage this bike has set more than it has been rode.

it made one trip from tulsa to new york and back when it was new and was parked inside form september 1982 until I bought it from my mom after my dad died. back in 2006 any way you want to pull the front forks and replace the front seals and put new oil in them and the rear shocks are made to rebuild also. I have parted out and sold the engine and some other thing from the one I bought for parts but still have a bunch of odds and ends.

do not get in a hurry and do pay close attention to the way things come off and you will be better off.

good luck and remember to pay close attention to details ( wire routing ,cables brake hoses, you get what i'm talking about.

I did not do a very good job of this the first time and had to take the bars back off top reroute a cable.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

It is amazing how well the GL1100s start when the carbs are clean. Carbs, timing belts, tires and brakes are about all they need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.