Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello again all still trying to trouble shoot my radio on my 82A finnaly tracked down the fuse that was bad and got the radio playing but now there is a type of distortion when you try to listen to it it is not a static for the antenna but more like a short somewhere, maybe inthe head unit itself..... it is just the AM/FM radio that pops in the left side fairing, is there anyone that lives close to Ft Worth with a good working radio that is willing to meet me somehwere just so i can pop there radio in my bike to see if it fixes the problem i do not have the money to buy parts i do not absolutly need, and i want to make sure that is the problem before i try to locate and purchase a replacment.... i do not have access to post a pic (hence the lack of a real profile pic) so i can not take a pic of the radio for comparison if someone else has a pic they can post i can identify if it is the same as mine.... any help would be appreciated......thanks a mil

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The unit that's in the L/H fairing is not the AM/FM radio but just the radio control unit. The AM/FM tuner is on the R/H side below the storage pocket. What you have is the Honda/Clarion Type II radio.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

wolfblade wrote:
Hello again all still trying to trouble shoot my radio on my 82A finnaly tracked down the fuse that was bad and got the radio playing but now there is a type of distortion when you try to listen to it it is not a static for the antenna but more like a short somewhere, maybe inthe head unit itself..... it is just the AM/FM radio that pops in the left side fairing, is there anyone that lives close to Ft Worth with a good working radio that is willing to meet me somehwere just so i can pop there radio in my bike to see if it fixes the problem i do not have the money to buy parts i do not absolutly need, and i want to make sure that is the problem before i try to locate and purchase a replacment.... i do not have access to post a pic (hence the lack of a real profile pic) so i can not take a pic of the radio for comparison if someone else has a pic they can post i can identify if it is the same as mine.... any help would be appreciated......thanks a mil
wolfblade,

Most radios come with a resistor, One side was positive, and one was negative that hooked in behind the radio itself. Check and see if you have one and is hooked up. Also, on the speakers, there is a positive and negative side. Make sure the leads from the radio to the speakers are positive to positive, and negative to negative, and your antenna is getting a good connection. These 3 things can cause the problem you are having.

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

are you refering to inside the fairing? because i have nothing mounted on teh right side fairing other than two togle switches (aftermarket) for the light bars...... the only thing that is on the right side is actually mounted inside of teh right fairing......

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

NO YOU WILL HALF TO TAKE RGHT FAIRING POCKET OUT AS IT DOWN BELOW THE POCKET OR THE JUNK HOLDER AS I LIKE TO CALL IT:(

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

AS it's just am/fm without cb or intercom, it could also be a Clarion I system fitted from an earlier model like I did mine. Clarion I systems have the actual tuner mounted right behind the controller panel.

Too bad I haven't moved back to the Ft. Worth area yet, doing that next year.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

well unfortuanitly i am unsure of what model it is but off the top of my head a vauge discreption is that it is removable with a key at the top of the unit it is roughly 3" wide and 5" or so tall and probably 4" deep, AM/FM only no intercom or CB no tape or CD and mounts in a permenant mounting box on teh left fairing at the knee.... below the soft pouch.... i really wish i could take a pic but it does not say a type 1 or 2 or anyhting jsut says clarion

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The key latch of the Clarion I is top dead center of the top of the panel and the panel has a straight bottom. The Clarion II's key is on the top left and the bottom is stepped and uneven. I'll post a pic of a Clarion II in a minute.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

you just solved it it is a type one... the key whole is TDS of teh unit

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

This is the Clarion II controller panel,

IX and IV are the controls for the cb and intercom, if the system doesn't have these then there will just be covers in their place.

I have all the manuals in pdf for the Clarion II systems.

I'm still trying to find the manuals for then Clarion I systems.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Also the Clarion I systems came with a gauge pod like this.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Bah unfortuanitly i am at work and photobucket is blocked (so i can not see what you jsut posted) but from your ealier text i belive it is a type one seeing as how the key whole is TDS of the unit.... not sure why a 82A would have a type one but its about par for my course lol.... so anyone local with a working type one willing to meet me somewhere so i can see if this is my problem or if i need to start tearing into teh harness (which i really do not want to do)??? i dont mind making a bit of a brive if need be..... would really like to be able to listen to something other than the wind lol......

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Well looks like i was wrong and jumped the gun a bit it is actually a TYPE 2, just without the CB or Intercom options..... well that is going to make trouble shooting a bit more dificult, what are teh chances of teh control unit being bad? when you turn it on adn turn it up or down it gets some popping from teh speakers even when turned all teh way down... it acts like it has a short in it but i have messed with all of the wiring and cant find a problem.... thank you BAGMASTER for all your help i am pretty new at this (first bike lol) what a bike to pick huh lol.... well i retract my previouse statement does anyone live near Ft worth with a TYPE 2 controll unit that i can place in my bike to rule that out?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
This is the Clarion II controller panel,

IX and IV are the controls for the cb and intercom, if the system doesn't have these then there will just be covers in their place.

I have all the manuals in pdf for the Clarion II systems.

I'm still trying to find the manuals for then Clarion I systems.
Bagmaster,

Thanks for the info on the SWR Meter. Read it several times before I went out and set it.It ismuch betternow.

Your Friend sheriff,

David Aka Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:All GL1100 Aspencades came standard with the Honda/Clarion Type II AM/FM radio. The CB, intercom, and cassette deck were optional as was the booster amp which was called "Super Sound".

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

AH POO i was hoping there was someone kinda close to me willing to meet, but i can go hit up the local wing salvage yard adn see what they have see if tehy have a type 2 controler i can pop in and see if that fixes the problem, wish me luck lol im a broke ass mofo, so i hope its a chaep fix (but my luck its not) lol

I must ahve been a really bad boy in a previouse life cause Karma is kicking my ass lol

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The image below is of the radio control unit with the full Type II system installed which is on my '83 Interstate. I purchased the full Type II system new in May 1983 and did the installation myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The image below is the Type II Honda/Clarion center panel with the optional digital voltmeter/air temperature meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
:waving:The image below is the Type II Honda/Clarion center panel with the optional digital voltmeter/air temperature meter.
And your volts are too low too!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::dude::dude::dude:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Ya thats teh set up i have with out teh CB and intercom controls that is.... now i jsut need to get my hands on a control box taht i know is good to see if that is my problem lol...... o and i like your display mine is nothing like that lol may have to change it over haha..... i have the same stereo display on the left side but my center display is not there it is just a blank plate and my far right is an analog voltmeter.... i like that set up..... thank you for all your help now its just a matter of prosses of elemination... now that i know what i have HAHA... thanks again

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.