Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just spent 2 1/2 hours cursing out Honda (well, Clarion) engineers today as I removed the tuner and CB modules out of the fairing of my 82 Aspencade. Just wondering what their thought process was?

Engineer 1:

"Ok, we'll cram these modules in and fasten them to the fairing so that it's virtually impossible to remove them using any kind of common hand tool. Each module will have at least 6 bundles of wires hard-wired to them without connectors of any kind, so that in order to get the module out, each wire bundle has to be fished out through the rat's nest of wire on the left side of the fairing. Incidentally, we should require the removal of the entire component terminal to gain clearance for any of the wires to be fished around it. That way it will make it as difficult as possible to remove the components for service."

Engineer 2:

"Sounds good to me! Don't forget, each of the wire bundles should terminate in multiple unlabeled generic connectors, to make correct reassembly as difficult and unlikely as possible."

Engineer 1:

"Good idea!"

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You're pulling out, I'm putting in, hehehehe.

I'm not hooking up any cables until I have all units installed. All my cable ends are color coded and labeled. None of my cables are running underneath nothing, all are running on top for easy access through the turn signals holes. I'll be posting some pics of the install tomorrow in the thread I started.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's lots of cables and connectors so when I installed an '82 Aspy system in an '81 Interstate I set all the pieces up on the bench and fired them up to make sure it was all working and I'd gotten them hooked up right. Then I tagged all the connectors on each end (some of the color code tape was long gone) and installed the whole mess in the bike. It worked just fine though I had to use two systems to get one complete one working. Probably could have sent the partially disfunct one to Sierra for repair but I found a fellow who wanted it as is.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, I've not gotten around to testing the system yet. I've got 2 speaker amps and 2 radio tuners to play with. So I hope the cb is good. My distribution unit, the intercom unit, cb controls and intercom cables and controls are all brand new.

All fuses are good and it has a lot of them. Should be able to test it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

i just went through the same thing.sent tunner to sierra to get fixed.hope i can get everything pluged back right?i am going to try and run wires on top they were run under head light no room.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

exavid wrote:
There's lots of cables and connectors so when I installed an '82 Aspy system in an '81 Interstate I set all the pieces up on the bench and fired them up to make sure it was all working and I'd gotten them hooked up right. Then I tagged all the connectors on each end (some of the color code tape was long gone) and installed the whole mess in the bike. It worked just fine though I had to use two systems to get one complete one working. Probably could have sent the partially disfunct one to Sierra for repair but I found a fellow who wanted it as is.
That's just what I did. I have lots of different colored electrical tape, and as I'm pulling each connector apart, I'm putting tape around the wire so that I know how to hook it all back up when it's fixed. (Tuner is going off to Sierra for repair, new CB unit going in to replace the existing one).

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Got an extra cb bracket? I didn't get one with mine.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

I feel your pain.. When I got my 83 Aspencade it had been renting out the fairing to a family of mice. I had to remove everything from inside the fairing. Had a pretty good amount of wiring to repair, and never could completely get the mouse smell out of the fairing.. I had all the stuff that goes in the fairing laid out and my wife and kids were amazed when I told them it all had to fit inside.
What a pain in the rear. I used to curse the engineers that designed the aircraft I used to work on. They have nothing on the crazy people that put all that stuff in the fairing..

I was amazed myself when it all worked....

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
The correct tool is over there with the bungee cords...
LOL you had me sitting here grinning like a fool at my desk when I read that. Hope nobody is looking, and wondering what I'm doing in lieu of work. :)

I actually did sort of do this yesterday. The amount of wire that I had run throughout the bike for one thing or another had become excessive - and some of it had been abandoned. It was getting tough to figure out what wire was used for what - and I put it in there! I decided it was ALL coming out and being redone.

I'm having the radio tuner repaired, replacing the CB, removing a ground harness that served no purpose, and relocating the voltmeter/temperature gauge/clock.

Also, I am moving the satellite antenna from the inside top of the trunk (where it would get blocked by my wife when we were heading south) to the very front of the inside of the fairing, where it shouldn't get blocked by either of us.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
Got an extra cb bracket? I didn't get one with mine.
No, I've got to use the one I have to mount the new radio. I could take some pictures/measurements for you if you like - it shouldn't be that tough to fabricate one.
Yes, please do. I asked some one else to do this for me and they never responded.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

GSM, I figured that with your knowledge, repairing a TYPE II would be duck soup for you. Now , I am hesitant to pull mine out after your post.

My second Aspencade had some mice destruction too, but less than the first. The tuner indicator had to be replaced as it had been eaten andstill I can see a bare wire running along the fairing under the headlight. But it works , sort of okay. The right speaker is on or off sometimes for tape, radio and CB. I figure the amp or amp wire is bad.

Bottom line, to fix what I did was a major pain in the a$$.

My friend who had the same system in his Goldwing said, "What were they trying to do? This is the most complicated radio system ever made. And, it's damn heavy!"

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm waiting for the temps to get back up enough so I can continue working on mine. No heat in the storage building and the temp is only up to 42 right now, needs to be at least 50 before I can go out and work on it.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
GSM, I figured that with your knowledge, repairing a TYPE II would be duck soup for you. Now , I am hesitant to pull mine out after your post.
I did open it up to have a look at it. My guess was that old electrolytic capacitors had reached the end of their service life - I thought, "no problem, I'll just swap them out." Then I opened it up to have a look.

The inside of the radio is designed like the rest of the system - a mess of unlabeled spaghetti wiring, hundreds of discrete components all jammed together on two separate circuit boards, and everything coated in some kind of epoxy, probably to keep vibration from causing problems. What a mess. Seeing that, and not having any schematic diagram from which to work from (and I looked all over for one), I decided that I'd send it off to Sierra with my $100, and let them deal with it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I think the Japanese are laughing at us. This is typical; the documentation to analyze and fix it is not there. We have the same problem with our testing equipment.

One of our test equipment had a non funtioning RS232. I asked a another guy if he had that problem. Turns out that the Japanese didn't connect any wires to it and it wasn't just mine that didn't work. Haha.

Unless you want stock appearance, maybe better to insert new radios/CBs.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

The thing is - with today's available technology, *if* there was documentation available somewhere on how the radio talked to the control panel and display, it would be child's play to hook up an FM radio chip to a PIC chip or a BASIC Stamp or something, and emulate the 25-year-old technology in a tiny little power efficient and reliable digital package. Replace that huge heavy metal box containing hundreds of discrete components with a tiny little box containing two chips and a few support components.

Hmm. I wonder if there is a market for that? How many Clarion II's were sold? :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Two major problems with that. The market's too small and that old stuff for the most part just keeps working.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.