Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, so I need to post within 24 hours, so I'll jump right in. :waving:

In the early '80s... about a 100 years ago... I had a couple of Honda 500s. The first one was a CX, then I upgraded to the GL Interstate. I put 40k+ miles on them, and then got married, had kids, etc. Sold the bike... bought a boat... So, now I get the itch again, and long story short, I have an '82 Goldwing! A friend of my father-in-law had it... bought it new... 31k miles... clean as new... runs great!! :cool:

I've had the Wing home for just a couple of weeks now. Today, I wanted to take it out, run some fresh gas through it. It was not real warm... just over 50 degrees when I went out. It started right off.... and I mean RIGHT OFF.... the thing is running before I can even release the starter button. Then, as I remembered my CX500 and GL500 from my previous life, I had to choke it and rev it a bit til it warmed up enough to idle by itself. After about a minute, it was idling, and I ran in the house to get my jacket and helmet. So, it probably idled another 3 or 4 minutes.

So anyway, I pull in the clutch, and drop it into 1.... and it lurches forward a bit, and stalls. I said... wth? So I pop it into neutral again to start it.... and it seems like it doesn't want to be in neutral... the light keeps going out. I did try one time to start it in 1, with the clutch in... and it wanted to crawl. The clutch was engaged somewhat, even with the clutch lever pulled. :baffled:

I understand that it has a "wet" clutch. Never had one before. My guess is that the oil is a little stiff when cold, and that's what was causing the clutch to act that way. ???

Would that be correct? Once it was warmed up good, it was fine. Is this normal, or do I need to check on something. The bike has just under 32k easy miles... so I wouldn't think anything should be wore out.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

The oil in it may be too heavy for the cool weather 20/50 maybe. Change the oil to 10w40 motorcycle or 15w40 diesel oil and make sure you have only about 1/2" of free play in the clutch lever. BTW both the other bikes you had did have wet clutches.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
The oil in it may be too heavy for the cool weather 20/50 maybe. Change the oil to 10w40 motorcycle or 15w40 diesel oil and make sure you have only about 1/2" of free play in the clutch lever. BTW both the other bikes you had did have wet clutches.
OK, thanks, I figured it was something like that. I was hoping there wasn't something wrong with it. The guy I bought it from kept meticulous records regarding service... every oil change is written down. He used Havoline 10w40. So, is that different in any way from 10w40 motorcycle oil?

I've been waaayyy out of the loop for quite a while....I've never heard of wet clutches... I figured it was something new. D'oh! My bad.:blushing:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Hi trekguy!:waving:welcome to the best GW forum site going!

I use CastrolGTX. It has the elements still in it that will cling to the gears and clutch. Most oils are leaving that type for what works best inthe newer engines only. The havalin might be the same. Check the stats on the can/bottle. Oil that helps the clutch plates and clings to the gears is why most are going to diesel oils.

My 82 hangs up like that at times also. When it does, I hold tight on the front brake , pop it into gear and rev the engine a little a couple of times. You know a wherm, whrem.

A while back this subject was breached and some said the inner pressure plate warps over time and this is what makes it hang.

Best of luck straightening it up. Let us know.

Dwight

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hey trekguy, welcome to the site. A lot of us use a quality diesel oil, Shell Rotella T, or Chevron Delho 400, 15w-40. You might want to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

Hi trekguy, Nice to see you here. You'll like it....a wealth of info and good people.

I'd bet the oil was to thick. I had the same problem.Last spring when it was this cold I put a nipco heater blowing on it for a few minutes before I started it (don't get to close though). That seemed to help quite a bit on the problem your having.

Let us know.

Welcome aboard:waving:

Putt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.