Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the two halves of the lower front fairing have what appears to be a 'kinda' square hole at the bottom. Is there some sort of a tie bar supposed to link the two together? If there is, it looks like it would go right in front of the bottom part of the radiator if not touching it. I can't find any straight on pictures of the front of an '82 1100 Interstate.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What do you mean by the lower front fairing? Are you talking about the 2 lower pieces, with the 3 vent holes, that screw to the side of the fairing, that extend down from the fairing?

The lowest part of the lowers are supposed to screw into a small L-bracket that bolts to the lower radiator. I'll find you a diagram in a second...

Look at #12 and 13 in the diagram. I think that's what you want.

Raymond

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yup... you're describing what I'm talking about. It would make sense to screw into lower radiator, as a bar across would seem to hit it. Any diagram would be appreciated. I think I'm missing the L brackets then.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's indeed what's missing... #12, 13 and two of each: #21 & #26 (nuts & bolts??). Where exactly do they bolt onto the radiator... the front cap nuts that hold the radiator 'plate' on? Are these something available through Honda or an aftermarket or do they look like they can be fabricated without too much problem? Seems like they would need to bend a couple of ways rather than a straight "L" bracket depending on where it attaches to the radiator.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Here's a picture of the bracket, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate one, it's basically a ell bracket with one edge bent down. The side without the nut attaches to the lower radiator mount and the edge with the bolt is flush with the edge of the radiator screen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I have an '81 and (2) '83 Interstates, when all is said and done, one will be parts, one a Standard, and one an Interstate. You can have the brackets off one of them, if you pay for postage. Not sure if all the screws are there, but any Home Depot or Lowes will carry some metric stuff. The brackets are not all pretty and shiny like the one pictured above, but you can make do with some paint. I'll put them on my wire brush wheel before I send them.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I have an '81 and (2) '83 Interstates, when all is said and done, one will be parts, one a Standard, and one an Interstate. You can have the brackets off one of them, if you pay for postage. Not sure if all the screws are there, but any Home Depot or Lowes will carry some metric stuff. The brackets are not all pretty and shiny like the one pictured above, but you can make do with some paint. I'll put them on my wire brush wheel before I send them.

Raymond
:clapper:Way to go Raymond!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
The brackets are not all pretty and shiny like the one pictured above, but you can make do with some paint.Raymond
The pictured bracket had a long session with the wire wheel and a bit of paint, couldn't have looked much worse than yours to start. In fact all steel parts on the bike have been through that process.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've done a few pieces that way too. My horns had to be buffed and painted, for one. I even took my CI manifold to a wire wheel, till it shined, then clearcoated it. The old dingy aluminum looked sad. Pretty much during the riding season I have neglected the shiny parts and washing. I'd rather ride it then polish it, to be honest.

My frame has a few rusty areas, but that's for some other time. Maybe next Winter? After all, it was in the 80's today...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

You must be sure that you have the three metel inserts that keep the mounting bolt from crushing the plastic. I fyou don't have them you can order the proper bolts and inserts from partsfish or other vendors.

John

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yipee.. I recieved the brackets from Silicon Sam... you're da man! Thanks a million.

Dadoo. When you say the 'three metal inserts', do you mean part #21 on the diagram entered on Silicon Sams first attachment? I only see two (one for each side). I checked PartsFish and they skipped over part #21... no name to it or availability I guess. Part #26 is listed as a pan screw 6 X 20. I'm sure I can get one of those at any hardware store, but I'm not sure what the washers or 'inserts' look like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.