Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Think I'd learn, cold weather, thick oil, and motorcycles don't mix. In an attempt to start this bike at O*celc. with a little boost assistance, for my last ride of the season, it appears I've burnt out the starter. Any tricks to be offered up in removing and replacement?

The book says...remove motor.....I know it can be done without such drastic measures.

As for the last ride....I got it in....as I was able to push start it without assistance.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Jason summed it up in a similar reply a few months back:

"All the GL1100 starters are chain driven from a little sprocket on the starter itself. You don't need to remove the rear engine cover to take the starter out, but just before you pull thestarter out you had better put the bike on the side stand so that the sprocket doesn't roll into the engine when the starter is pulled clear of it. If the sprocket does roll in then you will have to pull the engine to retrieve it. I have done a couple of these starters and found it handier if I removed the exhaust manifold nuts and pulled the manifolds down about an inch, it gives lots moe space to work in."

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

FYI... I replaced the starter on an 84 GL1200 and lost the gear.. There is no chain guard to hold it... I used a mechanics flexible magnet (magnet attached on the end of a flexible cable) and pulled it from the bottom of the rear cover.. took me a long time to fish it out, but it was much easier than pulling the engine... Hope you don't have to..

:goofygrin:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

From the 1985 model year Honda put a stop tab on the inside of the rear engine casing, this stops the starter sprocket rolling into the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks fellas,

I am really apprehensive about that chunk of chain. Would like to have had the experience of seeing it done at least once as I tend to be a bit of a S%$T Finger Picasso with little patience.

I am to understand that getting the starter out isn't as much of a problem as putting it back in, with regards to the chain. Great idea on dropping the manifold.

Thanks for the tips and solutions for a worse case scenario.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I just put the starter back in on my 83 Aspencade. It just slipped back into position. I didn't drop my exhaust either but I haven't put that back bolt in yet either! I got it out with a 1/4" universal and I "THINK" I can get it back in the same way. Gonna have to wait though, gotta go to work.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Let me know how it goes AZ. Sounds too easy.

Say hi to my Ma-in-law. She's a snowbird that lands in Mesa AZ.

We need some poppy emoticons for today.

To our forefathers who fought, and our Brothers and Sisters who are still fighting.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Kyle, sorry for not getting back sooner. Been working 16-18 hours/day 6 or 7 days a week lately. I work at the Yuma Proving Grounds (weapons testing) and the current activities in Iraq and Afghanistan are keeping us pretty busy.

I did get a chance to drop it back in yesterday. It dropped in as easily as it came out!:clapper: I used a 1/4" drive with a universal and an extension. I did not loosen the exhaust. The universal allowed me to work in behind it. Couldn't really get a good torque on it because of the angle but I snugged it up and will recheck it in a couple of days. I can't believe the difference in the way the bike kicks over now. I needed to do this worse than I thought I did!

As you probably know, we get close to 300,000 Snowbirds here this time of year. A good portion of which come from Canada! I wave at a lot of them, but it's not always a "freindly" wave:gunhead:. If you ever come down this way with them, let me know. Mesa isn't that far from here!

Good Luck,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks AZ,

Not sure when I'm gonna get at this thing, and thanks for the input. As I do tour through alot of the south, I'm sure we will cross paths at some point. And.....I hear ya about our beloved tourists. Try driving in Winnipeg!!!!!...we're friendly, but we're idiots without any clue at all about what a merge lane is. Want to put a Winnipeger in an asylum.....introduce him to a traffic circle.:cheeky1:

I've got a couple of buddies somehwere in that mess in the east. Pull our people out and you build a big one:cool::gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Kyle, the starter job isn't as bad as you think. On the 83 models its better to drop the exhaust because the extra chrome trim gets in the way. A bit of WD40 on the starter splines and the area around the O ring usually sees it slide in easily. If you meet resistance, just pull the starter back out and tue#rn the splines a little bit and it should slide in easily. Keeping the bike on the side stand during installation will keep the sprocket in place with absolutely no risk of dislodging it.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the confidence builder Jason.

Between push starting the bike to get my last couple of days in, getting the wife's summer toy ready for winter storage, getting her winter beater tuned up, winterizing my truck, playing hockey, and working.....I have not had time to take a close look at this starter yet. Listen to the excuses!!!

Thanks guys for all the tips and I'll try and find a blow up pic on how this comes apart, but now I know what to watch out for.

Kyle

May you be a 1/2 hour in heaven before the devil knows your dead.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I should have added that in addition to replacing the brushes you should totally disassemble the starter and thoroughly clean the commutator and armature. My starter was FULL of brush dust! The starter itself comes apart very simply. In fact, make sure it doesn't just fall apart in your handswhen you remove the three case screws! When you disassemble the starter watch for the spacers on both ends of the armature shaft. They need to go back the same way they came out.

I used asmall screwdriverand CAREFULLY cleaned out the area between the commutator segments, then used 000 grade steel wool to buff the copper up to a nice new penny shine. I cleaned the armature with a good electronics part cleaner and wiped it down making sure I cleaned between the segments. I just used the electronics parts cleaner and a clean rag on the magnets inside the starter case. If you have an ohm meter you can check for continuity between the commutator segments and from the segments to the armature shaft. It should be a short. If your starter is not totally dead though they are probably OK. If itIS totally dead, also check for continuity between the wire the brush connects to (in the casing) and where you connect the source lead (from the starter relay) also. It should be a short.

I did not disassemble the starter clutch. It came off the front of the starter asa whole unit.

When you reassemble the starter, make sure you line the markings in the case up.

You probably didn't need this long winded post, but now it's done!

Oh yea, I took a few pics if you think they might help. If you do, let me know and I'll try to figure out how to post them!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sure..the pics sound great. Not sure how the pic thing works either

thanks AZ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Sure..the pics sound great. Not sure how the pic thing works either

thanks AZ
You should read the FAQ section as it explains this better;

Q. Can Iupload images with my messages and if so, is there a limit to the size of the images?
A. Yes you can upload images. Currently the size limit is 100kbs for each image and the images must be Jpeg, Jpg or Gif format. Images should not be wider than 600 pixels, this is to prevent the forum screen going wider than your monitor when large images are posted. You canupload one image per post. The 100kb limit is to save server space, which I have to pay for out of my own pocket because the occassional donation I get never comes close to covering the costs of the site and forum.

AZ, You picture is way too wide at 800 or so pixels and that's why we can't see it all.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Thanks JDuggan for the info! I hadn't gotten around to reading all the FAQ yet. I'll put the pics up in four separate posts. Hopefully they will illustrate what my terminology doesn't!:action:

Brush cover removed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

You have the hang of it now AZ. You can only put one picture per post at the moment, but I asked the wingnut about this a while back and apparently on one of the upcoming forum upgrades there will be the option to attach multiple images per post, so long as the total size (in kbs) is withing the allowed limits. At current settings (100kbs)that would mean either 2x50kb images, or 3x33kb images etc.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Thanks 03Silver. I understand the cost of operating and maintaining these types of forums (not to mention time)! I certainly have no complaints about having to do it in four posts. This is a great site and I appreciate the efforts of Steve Saunders and the members in keeping it going!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.