Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi everyone,

Well, one of my biggest fears in life was to break a plug and ruin an engine. I had a good run down that road on Thursday. I was changing my plugs and everything was going fine. The old plugs came out great the new one were going in great too. I have changed 100’s of plugs over the years and never ever had a plug fail, even an old plug. I always use Anti Seize compound. I had two fail on me on Thursday, one in the engine and one out.

Both plugs snapped where the threads “end” and the “Shaft begins” just under the crush washer. The crush washer was not fully crushed. After I removed the “threads” of the 1[suP]st[/suP] plug from the engine, I looked at it closely and found that the thickness of the metal where the threads are machined into it was not uniform in thickness. It got thinner as it got closer to “nut”. I broke the 2[suP]nd[/suP] plug by hand pushing it onto my work bench and an angle… “snap”!!!

I can’t describe to you in any amount of detail the horrible nauseating feeling I got when I felt the “snap” on the bike. I just gently released the ratchet and walked away to collect my thoughts for about 10 minuets or so. I knew what had happened.

I made a few calls and got some “easy outs” from my new best friend Cal. He is a member here but I don’t know his user name. Thanks Cal… I do appreciate the loan of the tool and the advice.

I know one thing, because of using the anti seize compound I could have put in a flat blade screwdriver and unscrewed it. I was terrified that I cross threaded it but I knew I had not. The threads on the head were fine and the new plugs went in fine. Just as a note, I replaced all 4 of them with a new batch from Canadian Tire and not NAPA just in case I got a bad “batch” from Napa. Needless to say I inspected the new ones quite well.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

In 45 year of working on gasoline engines, I've never even heard of breaking a plug like that. Somebodys QA leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

just for kicks id sent it to ngk and see what they say about that.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

You can see the razor sharp edge where the plug was the thinnest in orange. I would expect the fracture started here. The pink shows where it was thicker.

As far as sending the plug to NGK, well, it’s not worth the time or effort even if I got a box of them. I am not looking to get something for free, though I will “try” to take them back to NAPA but it’s not Napa’s fault.

Everything in the plant is automated and I am sure that a few things like this gets by from time to time. The only damage was to my nerves!!! Hahaha It would be a different story though if there were damage to the engine or had this fail under use. I would have been hopping mad then.

I will send them an e-mail with these pictures. I am expecting nothing in return though.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,996 Posts
imported post

I think NGK is making second quality plugs to sell to aftermarket suppliers or they are Chinese knockoffs. Lopeha had some with the porcelain loose recently. Never seen any problem with the ones from Honda and I have changed thousands of them.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

did they give you your money back can any other plug work besides ngk ones? im partial to the bosch platinums

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

glad u got it out ok is the main thing,.... it is obvious that the metal is oxidized in te pictures where it is broken.....no doubt they should refund your money... i will inspect mine from now on before installing them

thanks for the heads up

mark

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

got a set here i haven't installed and just checked with an eye loop but cant see anything wrong,sure you didn't tighten them more than a 1/16 turn?
makes me leery of mine now. lol i'd be on with their techline tommorrow,make sure u get bumped up to a supervisor,if these are knockoffs i am sure they will want to track this down,keep the boxes too
gladyou got them out w/o hurting anything

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Tim, glad & relieved you got her out...good scare though

d

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I would certainly tell them. They can't fix a problem unless they know it exists...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
got a set here i haven't installed and just checked with an eye loop but cant see anything wrong,sure you didn't tighten them more than a 1/16 turn?
makes me leery of mine now. lol i'd be on with their techline tommorrow,make sure u get bumped up to a supervisor,if these are knockoffs i am sure they will want to track this down,keep the boxes too
gladyou got them out w/o hurting anything
:waving:Per the Honda GoldWing 1980-1983 Service Manual: thread the spark plugs into the cylinder headsby hand to avoid crossthreading . Tighten them by hand then tighten them an an additional 1/2 turn with a spark plug wrench to compress the washers. This info is also in the owners manual.

Yes the above info is for the installation of NEW spark plugs and that's what this forum thread is about which was started my "Mr Magic Fingers".

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
But that applies ONLY to brand new plugs. If you are reinserting plugs, the washers have already been compressed, and following the above instructions will overtorque the plugs.
:waving:You are correct concerning the reinstallation of used plugs but this forum thread started by "Mr Magic Fingers" is about the installation of new spark plugs. Also in the post by "neoracer"he mentioned he has spark plugs that he hasn't installed yet who wondered ifthe spark plugs might have tightened more than 1/16 of aturn but this does not apply to new spark plugs.

When I remove spark plugs I always intall new ones and have never reinstalled a used spark plug.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I've had a few plugs break or have come into my shop with broken plugs. It still gives me shivers. The quality of plugs today are terrible. I had NGK as a sponsor for my stock cars and know they would be very interested in your plug breakage. Find out who your district manager is and give him or her a call. You could save another fellow winger the same problem if that bad batch is pulled from the shelf's. Just my thoughts, Tony:waving:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.