Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1982 GL 1100 Aspencade i am restoring. The bike wont start. all i get is a lot of backfiring. i did some testing and found the pulse coil bad. i replaced it and the bike fired right up. i continued to put the rest of the bike back together. when i was all done i started the bike up was running perfect i go and put it in gear and go about 10 feet and the bike cuts off. i tried starting it again and i got nothing. i just keep get backfiring. but not like it was when i first started. :wtf:. i am a motorcycles tech. and know a lot but this really has me confused.:waiting:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi RGreen and welcome to the forum from Texas, just a guess but it sounds like the dowel pin in the pulse generator is broken.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I had a similar situation with an 1100 that I bought 3 years ago. It would back fire but not run. After checking everything I could get at easily I finally dug in to the back of the engine. Not much room there but I did manage to get the cover off of the pulse generator/advance mechanism cover. I found that the advance mechanism would spin freely. The bolt was loose. Pushed in on the advance and it coupled with the pin. Tightened the bolt, crawled out from inside the bike and tried to start it. It started and ran fine. I had also been through the carburetors before this so they were working well.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i have checked the dowel pin and it is good.

@lyleapgmc= when you removed the cover did you have to remove the tire and swingarm or were u able to without doing all that.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

RG, the original discription indicates it has jumped ignition timing. You said it started and ran for awhile, then died. The only thing I can think of that could allow the ignition timing to change while running would be loss of connection with that dowel pin.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

JJ, so is it possible timing belt jumped a tooth?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

rgreen0734,

I took out the battery and the battery box to get at the back of the engine. It is a bit of a tussle but I thought it a lot easier than taking half the bike apart. I used a variety of 1/4" drive tools to get the screws out. I only took out the three screws holding the cover. Gave the spark advance a twist and it turned freely. Tightened the bolt in the center and it was good to go. I didn't have to go any further. I had one arm through where the battery area and the other under the frame. Things went better putting it back together and it was ready to ride then. No swing arm or wheel to put back.

I still puzzle over why that bolt loosened up.

morriscat,

According to all I've read one tooth off with the timing belts won't keep it from running. Bike and Dennis says it will sound like a helicopter but will run. The timing belts don't affect the ignition timing on the 1100 and 1200.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Morriscatt, I doubt it is a slipped belt. At one tooth off, it will run but very poorly. As this is an interference engine, at two teeth off, the pistons and valves will get together.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry i am a little late, but i figured out the problem about two weeks ago.

I removed the pulse genarator cover and found the spark advancer just spinning, after looking at it for a little a noticed the bolt holding it was missing a washer, I put a washer on the bolt and the the bike fired right up, For a '82 it rides pretty good.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!:smiler:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:congrats::claps:
Thanks for posting your finding the resolution. That will help those who come along later in time searching for an answer for their problem.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

mine is doing the same thing i had engine out to put starter clutch in it..so from what i am reading i can just pull the cover off and just see if it is spinning free.and how will i know if the dowel pin mite have droped???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.