Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow wingers. Just bought my first Wing. 1982 GL1100 with 62,000 miles. The good news is I got it for $500. The bad news is the carbs were gunked, now rebuilt, the wiring is a bit wonky for the turn signals (no big deal) and somehow the previous owner broke the camshaft off at the part that pumps the fuel pump. I put in an electric pump but the bike still idles very rough. So I have the right replacement camshaft from ebay. My local honda dealer wants $300 to install it. It sounds pretty cheap but I have a couple of questions.
1. How exactly does the camshaft pump the fuel pump, I've heard the term egg cam but don't really understand it. I've seen the threading that moves the tach but what makes the arm of the pump go up and down?
2. Is it likely that having a too aggressive electric fuel pump with no fuel pressure regulator is the cause of the rough idle? As I said the carb is newly rebuilt (by carb carl if anyone knows him, he's great) The bike is awesome once you get up to speed and runs like a champ, just won't idle except on choke.

3. Does anyone have the name of someone who will work on old wings in the LA area?
4. What else should I do to this bike to get it back to perfect?

I'm attaching some photos for fun.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,365 Posts
:welc:

You are approved now, so members will be able to see your post and reply.

Please fill in your profile with city, state and bike info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Welcome!

The end of the camshaft where the fuel pump lever rides is round, but it is off-center (eccentric) so as the cam turns it works the fuel pump.

The timing belts really should be changed on that 1100 unless you know they've been done recently. Plenty of "How-To's" to do it yourself. And while you are in there it isn't that much more to change out the camshaft, the 1100 is relatively simple in that area, no hydraulic lifters to mess with. You will want to readjust the valve clearance settings before you button it up. There's "How-to" articles on that, too.

Seems to me though that the 1100 should run just fine on the electric pump. It's possible your rough idle is nothing more than the rebuilt carburetors needing synchronized. If "Carb Carl" is local, take the bike and see if he'll synchronize them for you.

Do fill in profile, maybe there's another member nearby willing to help!

·
Premium Member
64,301 Posts
Hallo klrrich

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts