Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Picked up my second bike this winter and finally have it home...an '82 GL1100 Interstate that was dumped on it's side back in the early '90s and then parked. Needs some parts replaced from the wreck, but should be a good place to start. The fairing was trashed in the wreck, which is ok...I'm going to leave it off and make it into a bagger basically. Only has 16K on the clock, and the engine is spotless (aside from some road rash on the timing cover and valve cover). Brakes were locked up solid, but once I pulled the calipers, it rolled nicely.

This is my second "zombie" bike, so it's not my first rodeo...the other is an early '80s Shadow that was parked in 1998 after the radiator got a hole in it. Took about three months of work to fully resurrect that one, but it's been a great bike for around town. Wanted something bigger, so I started looking for a Goldwing .

This one is going to need a lot of the help these things always need when they sit for a long time, but I think it's a good basis for a project. I've been wrenching for 20 years and have brought back things in worse shape than this one lol. It still has oil, coolant, brake fluid, and what was once gasoline in it...it doesn't seem to have any leaks anywhere. Gas that old really stinks to high heaven lol.

I do have a few technical questions before I get very far though...the starter won't work, but I'm not sure if it's an electrical issue, or a mechanical one. There's corrosion on some of the connectors, so maybe it's the ground or something. The electrical system does come on when I put power to it though, which is encouraging. I'm not going to worry about the starter just yet though, as I have a more basic question about turning the engine over...

I pulled the plugs and put ATF in all 4 cylinders... Three of the plugs looked clean, one looked a little rusty. I can get the engine to turn over by putting it in gear and rocking it, but it seems like it's a lot harder than it should be with no compression. Like, I really have to rock the bike to get over a "hump"...like you would expect if you were hitting the compression stroke. Except, this is with the plugs out so there is no compression. Is this normal? I can get it into first, and then into second, but it won't shift any higher (maybe because it's not running?). Today when I get off work, I'll try and crank it over with a ratchet at the stator and see what it does... My only guess is that maybe there's a ring of rust in that one cylinder, and it's having a hard time getting over that...if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, it seems like with all four plugs out, the engine should turn over without any real resistance, and I have to rock the bike pretty hard to get it to flip over....or am I missing something? I've attached a couple of pics of the bike from the CL ad I got it from...I'll post more when I get them off my phone. It looks pretty much the same, but the fairing is gone now.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,303 Posts
Good luck with your project.
I'd start by taking the belt covers off and trying to rotate the motor with that bolt. Also, I think you will have to replace the head gaskets anyway, and getting a look at the pistons now may save you some work.

Also, welcome to the forum, :waving: and please fill in your profile.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil has a little better penetration than ATF. Just a thought.

The cylinders are probably pretty dry and laying flat the oil is not getting to all of the rings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck with your project.
I'd start by taking the belt covers off and trying to rotate the motor with that bolt. Also, I think you will have to replace the head gaskets anyway, and getting a look at the pistons now may save you some work.

Also, welcome to the forum, :waving: and please fill in your profile.
Thanks! I had the same thought...I'm going to try and turn it over with the stator bolt, and if I have the same issue I'll probably end up pulling the head on the right side to see what the cylinders actually look like. It's really strange...I can roll the bike like a foot and a half, and I can hear the pistons moving while I roll the bike (and at one point they shot ATF out of the plug holes as they hit the compression stroke)...but then it just stops, and I really have to rock the bike hard to get it turn over...then it does the same thing again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marvel Mystery oil has a little better penetration than ATF. Just a thought.

The cylinders are probably pretty dry and laying flat the oil is not getting to all of the rings?
Thanks for the tip...I thought I had some MMO, but I couldn't find it, so I just used some Dextron I had on the shelf...I may get some and see if it does any better. And that's true...the lube won't make it up to the top of the cylinders very well. Wish there was a way to pressurize the oil system without starting the bike...it would be nice to get some oil on the bearings too since I'm sure they're bone dry after all these years.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Won't start.

Check the starter button switch for corrosion. I had one that was not making contact internally. Cleaned it up and all was well.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the starter button switch for corrosion. I had one that was not making contact internally. Cleaned it up and all was well.

Rayjoe
Thanks for the tip...I'd come across that as a possible issue when I was searching. I do think the switch needs cleaning, but I'm leaning toward it also having a mechanical issue with the starter...on my lunch break, I put full power to the bike from my truck, and when I hit the starter button I could hear the relay click, and the starter go "chunk" with every push of the button. I reached down and I could feel the starter trying to do something. I'll probably just have to remove it and try to spin it with zero load and see what it does...I suspect the answer will be nothing. It's so low mileage though that I'm betting it's nothing a good cleaning won't fix.

Also tried rocking the bike again...it really feels like it can go through part of the cycle, and then it hits an obstruction. If I rock it hard enough, I can get it over the "hump" of whatever the obstruction is, and it will turn over again until it stops like hitting an invisible wall. What it is I can't say right now...my guess is either a blob of rusty crap in the bottom of the cylinder that the rings are running into, or one of the valves is sticking open and the piston has to push it closed in order to complete its cycle. Either way, the answer will probably be clear if I pull that head off (I hope). Either way, I probably won't try and turn it over any more until it is off. I can polish the cylinder if I need to...replacing a broken ring is a whole different job :shock:

If it's not obvious what the problem is, I'm going to be pretty stumped...I can't think of an issue with the crank and rods that would cause them to only bind up in one certain place.

·
Administrator
25,601 Posts
Your answer is in your first post, the rusty plug. A valve was open in that cylinder which let moisture in, it has a rusty spot.

Reactions: BrianInPA

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Remove the timing belt covers and check the condition of the belts. Then carefully check the timing of the cams. Take the belts off and toss them. Replace with new. If one or both of the cams are out of time the resistance you feel may be a piston hitting a valve held open by a cam.

Getting oil or solvent all around a cylinder is difficult. A length of tubing on a spray can might help. Try piercing radial holes in the tubing and plugging the end so the spray goes to the cylinder walls rather than straight out the end of the tube.

I would not pull the heads unless there is some definite indication of a failed head gasket. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Most starter issues are cured by a thorough cleaning and replacement of the brushes. Clean, corrosion free wiring connections are vital to good starter and charging system performance.

Check the three yellow wires from the stator. If the connector hasn't been replaced do that with solder and shrink tubing. If it's already been done, redo it with solder and shrink tubing.

Good luck,

·
Administrator
59,033 Posts
Folks,
I should not have posted the IP info, I have deleted all references to location, and this is the end of that story. No comments on location.

this has caused toolbox007 a lot of grief..... he was on a company system that cannot be identified, so this is the end of the location issue.

I emailed him an apology and hopes he comes back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.