Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

'82 Interstate rescued from a barn where she sat since 1994.

I have cleaned the carbs and re-installed onto the bike. I am getting gas to the float bowls. I have new plugs and am getting a spark. The kill switch is ON :)

Starter motor turns the engine, buta couple of misfires is all I get. I am getting compression on all cylinders.

What am I missing??

I am wondering if the fact that the mufflers are rotted away to nothing might have anything to do with the reluctance to fire.

Also I was trying to start her without the air box and air filter.

Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Missing and rotted off muffler would not effect unless they were plugged up so exhaust can not get out. Mine ran good without the exhaust system on it and it was no louder than a quite Ha---y!lLOL

Air box and filter would have no effect either. Try to open the throttle up. keep something handy to cover the intake in case of a fire. Just a little bit of gas in the intake with a lot of caution.

Hope you get it running! Litfuse

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yea if she burps you are gonna want a towel or something handy.

Use caution not to over crank your starter. That is sure death for it. No more than 30 second on then wait 5 minutes or reach down and feel how hot it is.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Is your choke operating when the cable is pulled all the way out?How about the gas? new I hope, new filter I hope.Pull the plugs and see it they are wet or dry.If the floats aren't all set right, might not be getting gas to all carbs equally.,,

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Pull a plug and see if it is wet or dry. My guess it is not getting fuel.

I find with my 77 after it sits for a long time it is slow to get fuel to the cylinders and takes awhile to get going.

I've changed out my fuel pump this winter. Newer one sems to have a stronger pulse, so we'll see. Anything that sits a long time is not going to want to start right away. You have to nurse them back to life.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

i had this problem once and it ended up being a sheared pin inside the rear cover on a shaft. something to do with the timing of when it fires.

good luck,

mark z.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sloshed a little gas in the intake. Blew it with an airline in the general direction where I wanted it to go. Pressed the button and she fired! Boy did she fire!!

15 years worth of oil accumulation in the cylinders instantly vaporized - into the atmosphere that is my garage.

Whiskerfish - thanks for the suggestion to have a towel handy - had a brief BBQ going in the intake.

When the smoke cleared I tried again and she again started. I wouldn't say that she is purring, but she runs!!

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I used WD-40 the other day through the sync screw hole on the sides of the No. 2 and 4 cylinders on an 83 to get it to fire. Just got a small blue flame out the hole when they caught at first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.