Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well i just got a 1982 goldwing interstate the guy i got it from spent over 1500 in repairs ect to get it running as nice as it does now and it runs nice but the fuel gauge doesnt work i was wondering if this is a common problem i can read about or an easy fix hard fix ect any info would be greatly apreciated

as im sure you can tell i am new to goldwings and well new to motorcycle repair/modificatian and a horible speller but i really dig the old goldwings and would love to make this bike perfect and then upgrade/customize it to fit my style if im asking the wrong questions or in the wrong place i would love if somone could point me in the right direction thanks alot

please email any info or good spots for a new goldwing fan to find info ect to [email protected]

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site dcnadeau770! :waving::waving:

Fuel gauge failures aren't a common problem. Before anyone can tell you what might be wrong with any hope of getting it right we need to know if the temperature gauge works okay and how the fuel gauge doesn't work. Does it read full or empty all the time?

If the fuel and temperature gauge don't work properly it's probably the 7 volt regulator that feeds both gauges ot the wiring to it causing the problem.

If the temperature gauge works but the fuel gauge is always showing empty it could be the wire from the seven volt regulator, the gauge, the wiring from the gauge to the sensor under the seat, the sensor itself or the ground wire from the sensor.

So give us a few more details and maybe we can nail it down for you. When you get a chance please put your location in your member profile.

BTW spelling isn't a real problem, there's a spell checker in the upper right on the message form. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

awsome ill go mess with it tomorow i just got the bike a few days ago and then the rain started so aint been able to check it out much more yet

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

dcnaeau770, welcome to the worlds greatest goldwing forum from Waco Tx. You have connected to probally the most knowledgeable group of wing fans in the world. If someone has the answer it will be forth coming shortly. Never feel shy about asking, there's usually someone around that can give you a good response. There are tons of info already posted on the forum as you become more at home and search about.

:waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the Kansas City area! One simple thing to check on the fuel gage . . . when I had my seat off I was cleaning the top of the gas tank, I guess I jiggled the connection from the fuel sending unit and my gauge didn't work. I unplugged the connection, cleaned it, plugged it back in and the gauge worked.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yup its the fuel and temp gauge they both sit dead fuel tanks full but says empty and the temp gauge never moves eather

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

never had a bike with a fuel gauge so i can live without but it would be cool
also never had a bike with cruise controll so im gona have to figure out how to see if thats gona work i cant even ride the bike wont be able to go get tag and insurance and whatnot till later this month..

i did get it from my uncle im gona get all the paperwork so i know what all he had done to it when he had it in the shop and i know it drives good since i saw him driving it a few times and he drove it to my place from his house and thats a good lil drive only thing he told me tho was the fuel gauge doesnt work and he has to pump the front brake a lil

i got the repair manual and owners manual for the gl1100 so im hoping with them and the forums i can learn atleast some basics i mean honestly if it was my 77gs400 i would take it apart and dont think i would have any problems figureing everything out but compared to the gs400 the goldwing is like a spaceship from nasa or something

and i must really be outa touch with forum forms because i cant find a spellcheck on this thing anywhere

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I've never found a spell checker on here either and half the time the FireFox one doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

OK I like this one.... (Spell check) right hand upper corner. Letters ABC in square box with a check mark in it. After writing message click on it. Will bring up a 2nd window- previews window comes up above the message box. misspelled words hi-lighted in the lower that youwere writing in. click on em and it will give you choices of spelling. Guess one and click on it. LOTS OF LUCK :waving:Keno

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Keno wrote:
OK I like this one.... (Spell check) right hand upper corner. Letters ABC in square box with a check mark in it. After writing message click on it. Will bring up a 2nd window- previews window comes up above the message box. misspelled words hi-lighted in the lower that youwere writing in. click on em and it will give you choices of spelling. Guess one and click on it. LOTS OF LUCK :waving:Keno
Ok, it seems like a few options for the reply box are not there in fireFox as are available when using IE. Like the cut, copy, and paste icons aren't there either.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you really don't want to use IE as a browser try Avant, it does put up all the selections on top of the message page. Firefox doesn't. The spell checker and the Insert Link option is available so you don't have to use tinyurl either.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.html

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 aspencade and I had the problem with the brakes. If the bike has been sitting, fluid drys in the seals around the pistons in the calipers. I pulled them out cleaned the crust and gunk of the pistons and inside the calipers. there were 2 seals in each piston I only had to replace the dust seal. lubed the piston with some brake fluid put them back together and have not had any problems.

the only thing is on my bike, I am guessing it would be the same for yours, the front right caliper is also connected with the back caliper. it makes it a little tricky to bleed the lines.

I am doing the same with my bike I just bought it about 3 months ago. I had another one about 10years ago but had to sell it. every body here has been really friendly and knowledgable.

Scott

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Meanwing wrote:
I have an 82 aspencade and I had the problem with the brakes. If the bike has been sitting, fluid drys in the seals around the pistons in the calipers. I pulled them out cleaned the crust and gunk of the pistons and inside the calipers. there were 2 seals in each piston I only had to replace the dust seal. lubed the piston with some brake fluid put them back together and have not had any problems.

the only thing is on my bike, I am guessing it would be the same for yours, the front right caliper is also connected with the back caliper. it makes it a little tricky to bleed the lines.

I am doing the same with my bike I just bought it about 3 months ago. I had another one about 10years ago but had to sell it. every body here has been really friendly and knowledgable.

Scott
Hey scott, the linked brake system didn't come out until the 83 model year. 82's don't have linked brakes unless some one converted yours.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

well i only let the bike idle for around 15min when i checked to see if the temp gauge was working since it didnt move i figured it and the fuel gauge were out but today i let the bike idle for a good while just checking things out and letting er run since she was sitting in the cold all alone for a few days and yeah well the temp gauge works smooth now so i dunno if it was just to cold or stuck but its working fine now but the fuel gauge is still totaly dead smack dab on E nomatter what

so is the prob still most likely gona be that 7 volt regulater or is it somthing diffrent now that the temp gauge is working and its just the fuel gauge that has the problem?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, after running it a couple more times verify the temp gauge is still working then I'd look at it just being the gas gauge. It could be something so simple as what I found wrong with mine. The nut securing the gas gauge wire to the rear of the gauge pod was loose, tightened it up and been working great ever since.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The quickest easiest check is to remove the seat and ground the wire going to the fuel sensor on top of the tank. Just momentarily ground the wire in the center of the sensor, the one with the white insulator on it. You should see your gas gauge go to full if the gauge and wiring are okay. If you don't first check that the ground wire, the green one is still connected to the sensor, if that's okay momentarily ground one of the terminals on your gas gauge. If the temp gauges jumps to full hot you're grounding the wrong one. If the gas gauge jumps to full when you momentarily touch a ground to it's terminal you have either a problem with the wire between the gauge and sensor or the sensor is open. Be sure to only connect a ground to those points momentarily for a second or two, if you do it much longer you can damage the meter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.