Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I did a master cylinder rebuild this past winter and front brake system seemed to be fine but all of a sudden ( 90+ degree heat days) they seem to build pressure and almost lock up the front wheel.If you open the bleeders you get a little squirtand they release.After it cools in evening or the next day they seem fine again till the afternoon heat. Used dot 4 fluid, all new seals, new Stainless brake lines,---everything was clean. I'm stumped???

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

just curious. when you rebuilt the master cylinder did you pry off the plastic reservoir. JB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the little hole in the master cylinder is blocked. There are two holes in the master cylinder, one is easy to see the other not so. It is the small one that allows the fluid to return to the reservior.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I did pry off the master cylinder and replaced the o-ring. I only saw one small hole???? You say there are two??

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I did pry off the master cylinder and replaced the o-ring. I only saw one small hole???? You say there are two??

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

yes there are 2. I have a customers 82 in the shop for the same reason. He rebuilt it but the small hole was rusted closed. Clean out the little divet and there should be a hole there. Be careful because once cleared it can it can spray ya in the faceCover your bike completely. JB

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Can you give me any idea where the second return hole is located? Do I need to remove just the reservior or do I need to dis-assemble the master cylinder again?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

just take off the plastic reservoir. you will see the big feed hole towards the rear. forward of that is a divet. the hole is centered in the divet but you might need a magnifying glass to see where its at. I carefully use a #80 drill bitwhich is probably a little smaller than a hair. jb

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

I've seen many posts concerning the elusive hole... can anyone post a picture of the little devil??

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I think somebody did a while back. It really aint hard to locate. Take off the plastic reservoir and clean the insides real well. . I cover the bike and use brake clean and then compressed air. There is a what I call a divit. It looks like someone started to drill a 1/4 inch holebut stopped. In the very center of the divetthats where the hole is or should be. JB

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I think I may have fixed the problem. I removed reservoir and cleaned with alcohol. Ran a 1/64 " drill thru hole--carefully--- added new fluid and bleed system. We will see!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.