Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right after I got the carbs re-installed (and not leaking), I decided to tackle the rear brake problem I encountered earlier after re-installing the rear wheel.

I wish it were a brake problem. Turns out the new rear tire --recently installed -- is rubbing against the frame and the swing-arm is butted up against the exhaust on the left side. (Picture below).

I'm reasonably certain that I did it when re-installing the rear wheel. I forgot to put a shim between the swing-arm and the frame (exhaust?) when pounding the axle through from the right side.

Note: 2000 mile trip planned beginning April 6. What do I do now, coach (coaches)? Punt? Anybody else pull this stupid trick?

Attachments

·
killer driller
781 Posts
I'm not sure what you can do,how much damage is actually done,can these parts be used if you put the spacer back or do they need to be replaced,if they need to be replaced I have a wrecked 81 and will make you a good deal on the parts,you pay the shipping,parts are doing me no good

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
HMMM,

First, I thought the axle goes in from the left side!
Pounding the axle through??

Been awhile but as I recall, I think you take off axle nut on right side, loosen the pinch bolt on the swing arm on the LEFT side, put a screwdriver or such into the axle hole on left side and rotate the axle back and forth while pulling it out.
No hammer needed normally.

Back together
Start axle into LEFT side of swing arm, install spacer and brake bracket (forget which first) , line wheel up and slide axle through wheel and final drive. Hold axle with screwdriver though hole and torque the nut on right side, then tighten pinch bolt on swing arm left side.
Is that how you did it, or did you do it differently somehow?

Pretty sure that's about how it goes, not got a manual handy and been a couple years since I change my 1100 tire.

I think I'd pull it apart and see if things go back into place on their own and make sure all the parts are in there, then try putting it back together and see if things line up as they should or still a problem?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Here are pictures of my 82 1100I and I think (hope LOL) mine is right.

Looks like perhaps in the picture of yours the bolts on the muffler under the swing arm point up, did you have the muffler off and maybe turn it wrong mounting it back up?
Notice on mine how the bolts are at an angle towards the wheel, not straight up. See how mine mounts the the frame in the INSIDE.
I am thinking "maybe" if you had the muffler loose from the frame and turned muffler with the mounting bracket to the outside instead of inside maybe that is the problem?

Depends on the angle I look at the bike, in the photo's it looks like the bolts on muffler may be left of the swing arm, but looking in person from the side under the bag the bolts are actually under the swing arm I think just a little, and the swingarm is above them about 2 or 3 inches I think. Shows what I mean most clearly in the first and last pictures, the 5.jpg and 1.jpg but I uploaded them backwards LOL
So if the muffler is rotated wrong that would actually rotate the bolts up much closer to the swing arm also.

As far as the tire rubbing the frame or swing arm, well not sure about that myself. Look how my spacers are in mine. I think they are correct, if not still close enough LOL
Mine rides correct and I did about 4K since that tire was put on.

If you click the pictures a few times you get really really big pictures

If you can get more pictures of yours , like mine, may help if you don't see the problem with yours yet.
May help to use the Macro setting if your camera has one. I usually forget to use it on mine when taking close ups like these but I remembered this time!

Attachments

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Seems to me someone else had this problem not long ago, maybe a search would help you, dunno what you'd use as a keyword though.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I would first take everything apart, and put it back together right, and see what happens. It should be pretty easy to tell if something is bent. Never worked on an 1100, so I don't know exactly how it goes together. I have never pounded on an axle, but I have tapped on them lightly with a hammer to get them back in. When doing it by myself, I usually use something for shims, put them under the rear tire, and wiggle them around till everything lines up, put grease on the axle, and gently tap it through.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HMMM,
I think I'd pull it apart and see if things go back into place on their own and make sure all the parts are in there, then try putting it back together and see if things line up as they should or still a problem?
Chromo, many thanks for your posts and pictures. You went to a lot of trouble, and it's much appreciated.

You are correct about the dis-assembly and re-assembly, and that's what I did with the exception of having to drive the axle out at least part of the way. (I did this last Fall.)

I'll take your advice and pull it apart again and see what happens. Thanks for all the pictures; you must have a good camera. My "camera" is my iPhone. Thanks again for your help.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would first take everything apart, and put it back together right, and see what happens. It should be pretty easy to tell if something is bent. Never worked on an 1100, so I don't know exactly how it goes together. I have never pounded on an axle, but I have tapped on them lightly with a hammer to get them back in. When doing it by myself, I usually use something for shims, put them under the rear tire, and wiggle them around till everything lines up, put grease on the axle, and gently tap it through.
Jerry, thanks for the post. You can (now) see from my last post that I plan to do exactly what you (and Chromo) recommend. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Pete, I think you need to check the swing arm bearings and the front end of the swing arm for rust. I know you didn't bend anything pounding the axle out unless the swing arm is rusted away. I would send you one if I had an 82-83 but the 80-81s I have are made for a narrower tire.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I wonder if the wheel bearings would make the tire rub also? I never had bad bearings back there. Maybe pounded one loose?
What do you think Dave?

If needed I have some extra 82 parts, may have a swing arm here but not sure.
I had picked up about 1/2 an 82 1100I last year for spare parts, but been hesitant to let go of anything not knowing for sure what all I need for mine yet.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I agree with Dave043, take everything off the swingarm including the shock attachments and see if you can move it side to side with a bit of pressure. Also check how smoothly it will go up and down. I'd suspect the swing arm wasn't supported enough when the axle was 'pounded' on. I've never found one that was that hard to push out. It would be a very good time to check the swingarm bearings. Probably haven't been cleaned and lubed since the bike left the factory anyway.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dave, Chromo and exavid, thank you for your posts. As you suggest, as long as I'm removing and re-installing the wheel, I might as well check the swing arm too. Not sure how big a job it is, but I'll see if I can find something in the manual. I've owned the bike for over 12 years now, and it hasn't been checked in that time -- probably never.

Do the swing arm bearings require a special tool for removal?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
If you end up needing a swingarm (which I highly doubt you will) I have an '83 I can pull the swingarm off for you.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you end up needing a swingarm (which I highly doubt you will) I have an '83 I can pull the swingarm off for you.
Thanks, BW. I'll let you know. I'm about to post a video I took of the swing- arm movement without the wheel on it in case you're interested.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the rear wheel off and moved the swing-arm up and down, as you can see in the attached video*. The still picture* shows a little more clearly where the swing-arm hits the exhaust bracket.

I couldn't hear or feel anything in the movement that would lead me to suspect a bearing problem, but just in case I've got the left side lock nut soaking in penetrating oil. I tried to knock it loose with a screwdriver, but it's corroded tight. Looks like I need to get a wrench adapter.

I'm not sure whether the video is helpful or not, but I'd be happy to take another one -- maybe with more light(?) -- if anyone thinks it would be useful. Thanks again for all the help. We may get our M/C trip in yet....

*Added note: The site won't let me upload the jpg file (178 kb) or the video. Says I'm missing a security tag? Never seen that one before. I also got an error message when I tried to report it to an administrator.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike Nixon has the final drive alignment issue well explained here http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/80s_honda_final_drive.swf

May or may not help your issue
Thanks, Whiskerfish. It's the same procedure that's in my manual. I'm glad you pointed out the need to follow those procedures in order. I wouldn't have known that, but now I''ll follow them exactly.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the swing-arm does not move side-to-side at all.

Also, the tire on the rear wheel is an MU90B16. Thought I should mention it because of the fact that it's rubbing against the frame.

I still can't upload photos because of a missing "security token". Anyone know what this means?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
No idea why you can't upload?

Did this big giant size attachment photo work?

OK, it worked for me just now. Just one of the other pictures I uploaded before but the full size un-cut version LOL
I never tried to upload a video.

How are you trying to upload your picture, as an attachment? Maybe it was just a tempory bug or they were working on something? Worked just now for me.
Attachment and I uploaded from my hard drive, and a file type of jpg

Attachments

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No idea why you can't upload?

Did this big giant size attachment photo work?

OK, it worked for me just now. Just one of the other pictures I uploaded before but the full size un-cut version LOL
I never tried to upload a video.

How are you trying to upload your picture, as an attachment? Maybe it was just a temporary bug or they were working on something? Worked just now for me.
Attachment and I uploaded from my hard drive, and a file type of jpg
Your attachment worked just fine. I'm trying to upload as an attachment -- browsing to the desktop where I saved the jpg photo (and video). This is the way I've always attached pictures and never had a problem until now.

Ever hear of a "security token" on this site? That's what the error message says I'm missing all of a sudden. Maybe one of the administrators will see this and help out.

Oops! It just uploaded the jpg file. Still won't touch the video, which is an MOV file. It's 25 MB, so maybe that's the problem. Not sure how to fix that. Maybe through youTube some way.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
I am pretty sure you would have to link the video from utube or something similar.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.