Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can you see the filter in the tank for the reserve if you pull off the fuel meter float? Mine is clogged and would love to remove it.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

It's a screen and I believe you can get to it through the gauge opening.

What leads you to believe that it's clogged?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The main filter isn't in the tank. That's just a screen as mentioned and it can be blown clean with tank empty and reversed back through the petcock with an air hose, fuel gauge removed.

Remove the fuel line and switch the petcock to both main and reserve, blow out the crud, then clean it up with a wet/dry vac through the fuel gauge hole, vacuum out the whole tank to be sure you get it all.

i just bought a 1/2 gal. Black and Decker wet/dry Vac at Walmart for under 30 bucks. Runs great and comes with a wall hanger setup.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I meant screen, but anyways I dont get any fuel from the reserve. It has never worked since I had the bike. Ive run out of fuel three times now and had to push the bike to nearest gas station. Luckily all three times I was close to a station as I knew it was time for gas. But let me tell you how much it sucks to push that big a** bike. Can it get so clogged that no fuel comes out?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The fuel tap itself could be the problem Wayne.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

There is a tube from the screen to the selector valve that could be plugged

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

There is 2 screens in the tank. Remove petcock first to see if you can get air thru it.If open remove seat and sending unit from tank. See if you can blow air thru both fuel line. If one is blocked use old speedometer and lube[oil] in a drill to clear the lines. Nice and slow on the drill speed.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks for the hints guys.. Its not the petcock, tried the air, didnt work. I will try the cable in a drill my next day off and lrt you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

litfuse wrote:
There is 2 screens in the tank. Remove petcock first to see if you can get air thru it.If open remove seat and sending unit from tank. See if you can blow air thru both fuel line. If one is blocked use old speedometer and lube[oil] in a drill to clear the lines. Nice and slow on the drill speed.

that works. but watch which way the cable is wound and turn it that way. the first bend is hard to make. the cable wanted to wrap it self up on its self.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

sorry. double click

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

with the cable, you cut the end off i would think, right? or do you put end in that would feed into the speedo without cutting?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i used a broken cable with no end on it. put it in first.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Ok thanks guys... I will try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.