Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm the (relatively) new owner of a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade. I'm still getting used to the bike (a slight difference from my 1989 Suzuki GSXR750). I've got a few glitches here and there that I'm working through, and one of them is in the radio.

The AM/FM tuner section experiences drift in the tuner after it has been on for more than a few minutes - I suspect it is when it heats up. When it is first turned on, the upper frequencies are wrong - I have to tune to 105.1 in order to pick up 106.3, for instance. The lower frequencies are right, but after a few minutes, it gradually turns to static. I can keep the station by tuning downwards a bit, but eventually it all goes away and I can pick up nothing at all.

I suspect some old electrolytic capacitors in the radio are simply showing their age. Is this a known problem? Anyone documented a fix for it?

I'm also looking for a relatively cheap but decent set of headsets for full-face helmets that will plug into this bike, if anyone has any suggestions.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hello GSMacLeanand welcome to the board. The radio components are awkward to get at on the GL1100.The tuner(that's probably where the problem lies) and the amplifier are inside the fairing. You need small hands to get at all the connections.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have no problem with that! I'll pull everything apart if need be. :) I just need to know if there is something that I can be looking for, or if this has been heard of before. I know when I had a problem like this with an ancient Korg keyboard I bought many years ago, I found that the problem was well-known and required the replacement of a few components on one of the boards inside the thing. It would be great to hear something like; "oh, yeah, capacitor C56 dies after a few years and causes this, just replace it and you'll be as good as new." :)

One can always hope. :)

I've found lots of excellent information on this board - I also have the primary chain noise at low RPM under high load - thought something was loose, but reading through this board discovered what it really is, and how to fix it. I've also discovered that the valvetrain noise I was worrying about is nothing to worry about, and that I should really probably think about changing the timing belts soon. I've got a little squeak coming from the rear end at about wheel speed that doesn't go away with the rear brakes applied, so I suspect I might be looking at some wheel bearings soon. I'd also like to have a look at the brakes.

I stumbled onto my Goldwing by accident - it was on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it, my wife wanted a tourer that she could ride on, and we both saw it at the same time. For $2500 this spotless '82 came with 39,000 miles, a trailer kit, two sets of footboards (one is installed), heel-toe shifter, a spare running ENGINE (!) with all accessories, a spare final drive, a spare set of shocks, a spare exhaust, and another box full of spares that I haven't even looked through yet. I told him it was sold right then and there. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.