Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My solenoid switch is bad and I'm tired of buying used ones. What needs to be done to make the new ones fit? I have a new one that was advertised as being for my bike, but it's not plug and play. The B and M terminals are reversed, and the plug in fuse gets in the way of the connector.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Bud I went thru same with another 81.Got tired of them,switched to a old style ford solenoid from autozone for 9.99,never had another problem.Had to relocate it as it is a little bigger,but solved problem.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I call it a relay, but it is the same part. It is very simple, and anything wit the current capacity will work. Making it fit is another matter. You will have to figure that out. They have 4 terminals on them, 2 big ones and 2 small ones. The positive cable from the battery goes to one of the big ones, the cable from the starter goes to the other. It should not matter which is which, all the relay does is connect the 2 together and send current to the starter. The 2 smaller terminals are connected to wires coming from the starter button. The started button sends low amp 12V to the relay, which closes, connects the big battery cable and the starter cable, which sends high amp 12V current to the starter. It is nothing bit an electromagnetically controlled switch. It is necessary because the little starter button cannot handle the current required to operate the starter.

Unfortunately many bikes also use that relay as a junction box, and run other circuits off of it. If that is the case, you will have to figure out what those are, and connect them together separately.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I use the ones you're talking about all the time. Not happy about the situation either. Not happy because the solenoid is smaller than OE.

Anyway, the B (Battery) and M (Motor) terminals are meaningless. Attach the battery and starter cables as if it were a stock part. Makes no difference.

The plug = you'll have to clip (with a pair of flush cutting side cutters or some similar technique) the retaining loop for the plug lock off of the male plug. It will then plug in resting snug against the fuse. Not a perfect solution, but reliable.

As I said, the problem I have with these solenoids is that they are smaller. Not as large as the factory piece and therefore does not fit into the rubber holder as well as the original. Too short.

When I advise another on what to buy for a replacement, I always point in the direction of used factory solenoids. They are robust and fit like they should without modification. I've yet to buy a bad one that hasn't lasted from eBay but I scrutinize the listings for the best one I can find. When I leave it to another for the purchase, I usually end up with the aftermarket solenoid as they are pretty inexpensive at around $12.00.

**Had a guy buy a used aftermarket solenoid on my suggestion to buy a used OE solenoid. He had no idea what he was looking at. Paid double for the used one over the price of a new one. I shake my head a lot sometimes and just roll with it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.