Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've started to hear a rubbing sound from the front of the bike - it sounds like something rubbing in one spot during a revolution. I added some synthetic oil to the top of my speedo cable last week, but the noise is still getting louder. The speedo is very smooth - it does not jump or bounce in the least. The noise starts at around 15 - 20 MPH and then either stops at around 50 or so, or gets lost in the road noise.

I've read various threads that recommend a couple of drops of light oil in the speedo, but that seems to be for a whirring noise or a whine. Could this still be the speedo or the cable? What else might it be? Note - this MIGHT be temperature related, as it did not do it in the warmer weather. It's getting pretty loud; I'd like to find and lube whatever is causing it before something breaks.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'll check tonight. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Your tack is cable driven also. I've noticed my speedo and tack, tend to make a little noise when it's cold. Less then 40f. They usually stop by themselves.I have used spray cable lube on them in the past and that quiets them down.,,

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, I have ruled out the tach cable by holding in the clutch while the noise occurs - the noise does not change or stop. I'll probably lube it anyway, using graphite powder, just for maintenance.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

HyperPete wrote:
Yes, I have ruled out the tach cable by holding in the clutch while the noise occurs - the noise does not change or stop. I'll probably lube it anyway, using graphite powder, just for maintenance.
:wtf:think about this.

neither cable , speedo or tach. , has any thing to do with pulling in the clutch.

speedo cable is driven off front wheel when rolling.

tach cable is driven off the engine when engine is running.

a lite oil down the cables to lube them. loosen the lower end of the cables to see when the lube has run its length. yes-- its going to take a while too.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wda-83wing - Think about this: When you pull in the clutch, the engine RPMs drop to idle. Therefore, the noise should abate if it's tach-related.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If the tack needs to be lubed, it would probably make noise slow or fast. The best thing to do is to oil it up and see if the noise goes away.,,

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Sounds exactly like a speedo cable to me (verrrrrry common) and if so the easiest and most effective thing is to just flat out replace it - not very expensive.

Bearings or a dragging brake pad are also good suggestions and easily checked by spinning the wheel when you have it on the centre (Canadian spelling!) stand.

T.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i see from your profile that is a aspencade you have. i would say its a 83 too. looking at the front wheel. so that rules out speedo cable. just leaves the gages and tach cable. i think i would try a lite oil lube , not to much at the gages and lube the tach cable and give it a go.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It's a 1982 Aspencade. It did not do it when I took it out of the warm garage this morning, but it did it after sitting out in the cold all day. I've ruled out the tach cable, front brakes, and wheel bearing(s). I'm pretty sure it's the speedometer cable. This weekend I'll disconnect both ends and lube it and see if that takes care of it. (I'll probably lube the tach cable at the same time.) If not, I guess I'll replace it.

Will the inner cable come out of the sheathing, or do I just have to gravity lube it without cleaning it 1st?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if the speedo cable is not broken , i dont think it will come out of the housing. not sure.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

You can remove the cable from the bottom.It will not pull out from the top. I clean my housing with Brake clean sprayed in from the top with the bottom hanging free. It washes all kinds of gunk out. Graphite spray is the lube to use after cleaning,but I have used a smear of wheel bearing grease in the past.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Just disconnect it from the wheel, zip tie in place temporarily, and go for a ride. If the noise disappears, you know it's the cable.
I would have to do this in the parking lot at work since it does not appear to occur after a night in the heated garage.
It sounds pretty simple to 'disassemble' the cables, clean the sheaths, lube and reassemble. I have a container of graphite powder I will use to lube the inner cables. Even if the cable(s) is/are not the culprit, it can't hurt in terms of preventative maintenance. Thirty year old grease probably isn't the greatest lubricant for a cable.
If for some reason the noise continues, then I'll know it's the speedo itself. I saw a post on your board by Littlewing about disassembling the tach, and I guess this would work for the speedo as well if necessary.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

SO easy, in fact, that the speedometer cable is already done.

Now, if someone would be so kind as to point me to where the tachometer cable connects to the engine, it will greatly simplify lubing that cable too. Otherwise I guess I start pulling plastic to find it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

it connects at fuel pump the upper screw holds it in and if you can get your hand behind the tach you can un-screw it with out removing plastic

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Cool, going out to the garage to check it out now. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

OK, tach cable is now cleaned and lubed. I think I'll be replacing it before too long. There was rust inside, and I can tell the inner lining is worn through up toward the top (roughness when re-threading it.)

Edit: Just found a tach cable at Dennis Kirk for $15.95 shipped. It will arrive Tuesday.

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Grrrrr, the noise persists!
It is not RPM dependent, it's definitely road speed dependent.

I guess I will disconnect the speedometer after work and see if it still makes the noise on my way home. If not, I'll try a couple of drops of light oil in the back of the speedometer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.