Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all

I am going to pick your brains about this before I relly tear into the bike to isolate the noise, it makes this whinning on accelleration and decel. all gears except 5th, most of the time after getting to cruise speed you can back off throttle and get it to quiet down. thinking trans mission but really don't want to go there unecassarily, but will this winter if needed. cannot tell if its from the rear or in the center of the bike. all info will be gladly accepted.

Thanks Brad

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

Is this bike new to you or have you owned and ridden it a lot so you know what it should sound like? If it is a new sound then maybe you have a problem. These bikes have quite a bit of gear noise as normal.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Find another 1100 owner and swap bikes long enough for them to make a judgement about the noise. As Bellboy says, gear whine is pretty normal for the boxer motors.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

hello

I have only owned the bike since june and have put approx 1000 miles on it since then, noise has been present all along.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
imported post

As Dennis suggested, try to find another 1100 owner to ride your bike and see if it sounds pretty normal to them. I think with the low miles that bike has that there is no problem and it is just the normal gear noise these bikes have.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

As stated above, they do tend to make some noticeable driveline noise. It sounds to me like that's what you're experiencing, since it's louder under accel/decel. The question is whether the noise is normal or due to a problem.

I'd run it normally for a few miles to warm it up. Avoid using the rear brake if possible. Then put it on the center stand and check for excessive heat in the driveline, especially in the rear wheel hub. In addition, you could run it through the gears on the center stand, and see if you can pinpoint the source of the noise (obviously this calls for lots of caution). If you don't have a stethescope, you can place a dowel against different (non rotating) parts of the driveline to help pinpoint the noise.

Best wishes and let us know what you find.
Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
Brad when i got my GL1100 it had 34k the tranny was noisy and it now has 220k and still noisy

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Transmission whine is normal on these things. I have a buddy who at least once a year asks me if something is wrong with his Wing because he hears this whining noise. And I keep having to tell him that it's normal.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys,
guess I will run with it for a while and monitor it. sounds like i may be worried about nothing.
Thanks again
Brad

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
hello

I have only owned the bike since june and have put approx 1000 miles on it since then, noise has been present all along.

Have you gone over this bike yet or just riding it?

Have you pulled the driveshaft and lubed all the splines on the bike? Rear output shaft/u joint, both ends of driveshaft, rear differential, and wheel splines with Moly 60 Paste? That is the first thing needed to be done on these bikes. There are posts on splines that have not been properly lubed (every 10,000 miles) rust happens and the splines wear out and slip when neglected.

Also inspect the wheel bearings for wear.

Is the rear tire rubbing on the swingarm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.