Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello I am looking for some information on how to install a new starter in my 82 GL 1100.I have the Clymer repair book but I am worried about the part on page 220 where it says Do not remove the starter motor with the engine in the frame.The starter drive sprocket and drive chain will move away from the hole.can this be done without removing the motor from the frame and without disturbing the sprocket.

Joker82

After reading some of the threads maybe it is something else,what my starter does is sometimes it does not catch and when I try it a few times eventually it catches and it starts right up,could it be something else......

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

There have plenty of recent threads about this in the technical forum, where you should've posted this. Just type starter removal in the search bar and you'll find most of them.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Bad information on a GL1100. Put on side stand (not center). Get a universal joint to get at 8mm front starter bolt and maybe re-use old o-ring.

Nao problema

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:You can remove the starter while on the center stand but for installaton put the bike on the side stand to center the gear. Below is a thread from Jan 2007 which has a lot of tips for removal and installation of a starter on a GL1100. When installing the new starter put a light coat of oil on the "O" ring which will makeinstallaton easier. There should be no need to remove anything for access for removal or installation of a starter on a GL1100. Read the 14th post of the below thread which I posted after I R&R'd the starter on my '83 Interstate.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37079&forum_id=1&jump_to=371816

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Sans floorboards you don't even need to remove the shift lever. Just hold it down while you work the starter out of the hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.