Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just got home from a trip on my wing. It's been developing a noise lately on decel andsteady speeds below 30mph. Gear doesn't matter, clutch position doesnt matter, engine on or off doesn't matter. It's an over-running/grinding sound. Like something is bound up and cocking about.Hard to describe sadly. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any more info I can give?

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

May be the rear wheel bearings or something in the drive line from the U-joint to the final drive. You might be able to hear it on the center stand (with the front wheel against a solid object just in case) and spinning up the rear wheel.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Or it could be sticking brakes, pads worn to the metal onto the rotors.
Inspection is the only way to find it. Start getting dirty and post back a reply what you find.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

My bike used to have a very irritating racket, somewherein the back. The sound would really grind on the nerves. It went away when I got divorced. :?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

where it coming from? speedometer makes alot of noise on my 1100 at about the speed ur describing.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Isn't it fun trying to describe a mechanical sound using the printed word?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
My bike used to have a very irritating racket, somewherein the back. The sound would really grind on the nerves. It went away when I got divorced. :?
that is funny , but true!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I question why the noise is on decel only. Try getting the bike going fast, pull in the clutch and kill the motor, after the motor stops if you still hear the noise, you know it aint the motor!

Tom

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

speeddemontbn86 wrote:
Just got home from a trip on my wing. It's been developing a noise lately on decel and steady speeds below 30mph. Gear doesn't matter, clutch position doesnt matter, engine on or off doesn't matter. It's an over-running/grinding sound. Like something is bound up and cocking about. Hard to describe sadly. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any more info I can give?

Looks like some folks missed that part. But that pretty much eliminates anything inside the motor. And makes it unlikely that it's the U joint either.

I'd suggest checking the fluid in your final drive. I bet it's dry or very low. Or at the very least worn out and in desperate need of changing. The sad thing is, that it could have been in bad shape long enough to have done some permanent damage, if you are getting that something sounds like it's chewing on itself noise.

Good luck and like others have mentioned. Please let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
speeddemontbn86 wrote:
Just got home from a trip on my wing. It's been developing a noise lately on decel andsteady speeds below 30mph. Gear doesn't matter, clutch position doesnt matter, engine on or off doesn't matter. It's an over-running/grinding sound. Like something is bound up and cocking about.Hard to describe sadly. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any more info I can give?

Looks like some folks missed that part. But that pretty much eliminates anything inside the motor. And makes it unlikely that it's the U joint either.

I'd suggest checking the fluid in your final drive. I bet it's dry or very low. Or at the very least worn out and in desperate need of changing. The sad thing is, that it could have been in bad shape long enough to have done some permanent damage, if you are getting that something sounds like it's chewing on itself noise.

Good luck and like others have mentioned. Please let us know what you find.

You're right, I am a LOT of forums, mostly support, and must admit I will "gloss over" some posts rather quickly, I just read noise on decel, and clutch position or gear didn't matter. Clutch in the motor could still be turning, but the full reading clearly suggests engine off. My appologies! Crap, first mistake this year!

LOL!

Tom

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks guys, the noise can't be heard on the center stand sadly, and I have had the rear brakes apart recently to make sure that the noise wasn't from them. I will check the drive shaft and the final drive this weekend. I left it at a friends house because the noise was bad enough I was having visions of the rear wheel locking up on me.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

If it can't be heard on the center stand, are you sure it is coming from rear wheel and not front?

Tom

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

well , I am suspecting wheel bearings (no load no noise)
Just my gut .

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I would think that you would be able to "feel" something if it were the bearings. Granted, you may have to remove the wheel to feel the bearings without the mass of the tire and wheel "dampening" any effect. Then too, why only under 30mph is the noise? I would think if wheel bearings it would be worse faster, although perhaps there is just enough other noise that it covers up that noise? Yeah, really hard to DX a sound using letters and words to "hear" it!

Tom

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Pop the bags off and run it around the block a couple times. Should be easier to hear that way,if it's in the drive, or wheel.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

With the new information, I'm thinking wheel bearings too. I wish we could hear the sound.

I had a front tire that would let our a pretty ominous roar on deceleration. It was dry and cupped.

But if it's more of a mechanical noise I'd be more inclined to think bad bearings.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I'll sit back and wait for the resolve

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Okay, this afternoon I was able to get it to make the noise while on the center stand. It is for sure coming from inside the transmission case. Are any of the transmission parts still available for these old machines?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.