Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay----first time I have tried to do this-----I've got the timing cover bolts loose but cover seems to be stuck. Am I missing something on removing this and do I need to loosen or remove radiator. Have patience while my Wing and I get to know each other better!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The inboard bolts can be a real SOB to get out due to their length. Usually I have to break the rad loose at the bottom to get them out of the cover. Once they are out of the way the only thing holding it should be the seal. They can create quite a bit of "Sticktion" and often require a good pop with a fist or rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks---- got that loose and moving rad back helped. While I am there I thot I would change timing belts. Read a couple of good "how to's" on sight---the only question I have is the plug or covver that I am to remove to see t1 timing mark-----Where exactly is it?????? Thanks for help!!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

as you are sitting on bike it will be on left side.right behind back carb.about the size of half dollar with a slot for flat blade screw driver.hope this helps:waving::waving: alan

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

It is on top of the engine. Looking in from the left side behind the carbs just about under the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

Pictures and directions are worth a thousand words, or twenty bucks. If you don't already have one, get a Honda shop manual. If you are willing to dig, you can download a free one from this site.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Dont forghet to reinstall that timing / flywheel cover.
You will have a mess of engine oil all over the top of the motor leaking onto your garage floor, making a complete mess of things.
I read it in a book somewhere.........................

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I believe ya, Muay...uh huh!!!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Dont forghet to reinstall that timing / flywheel cover.
You will have a mess of engine oil all over the top of the motor leaking onto your garage floor, making a complete mess of things.
I read it in a book somewhere.........................
I read the same book. I now take the ignition key out and put it on the workbench with the timing cap on top of it.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I didn't need the book, I just left the timing cover off! At least I'm willing to admit it :dude: Just part of the Goldwing learning curve. All the best to all, Dick

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
imported post

longrider wrote:
Pictures and directions are worth a thousand words, or twenty bucks. If you don't already have one, get a Honda shop manual. If you are willing to dig, you can download a free one from this site.
How deep do I have to dig? And where?

1982 Aspencade

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

be sure to check your cam and crank seals while you are in there it can save you from having to take the covers off a second time in the near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.