Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got my recently purchased wing on the road. She wasn't holding idle. Cleaned the carbs, and replaced all rubber inside and she startes right up and is now idling great. However, when taking off from a stop she's rattling. IfI juice up the throttle it goes away. The bike seems to run great other than that. It's an 82 and I'm planning on changing the timing belt just as a precaution. Could that be making the noise, or is it customary for these motorcycle to want a little more throttle than my experience feels necessary?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hello Irocondrums and welcome to the forum from Texas. I've never heard a timing belt make a rattle noise. Sounds more like you just need to give it a little more throttle. The four cylinder wings like higher revs than some other engines. Mine rattles a little if I dog it on take off. On the other note, if you don't know how old the belts are, they should be replaced as soon as possible. As these are interference engines, a broken belt will always bend valves and sometimes puncture the piston.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Yes the 4-bangers do take a little more throttle, but not much.. Have you synchronized the carburators? Most of the time this is the issue that gets the primary chain rattling.. and no it is not caused by timing belts, although changing them might be a good idea if you don't know the history..

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

Carbs may need to be synchronized. All the 4 cylinder Goldwing engines rattle like crazy on take off when the carbs are off synch.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll definitley go over the carbs to be sure they synched correctly. As for the belt, changing it is definitely the consensus from eveyone on the site. My buddy and I spoke on scheduling some time next week in his shop to do so. Thank you all for the input. As I said, I'm real green with this machine, but I've always admired them. I'm so thankful for a forum such as this one. You all have a great day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.